Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Del The Funky One
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

A little quick background stuff. I'm a college kid, and I'll be graduating in May. My pops has fallen on hard times, and I thought after I graduate I might go out to his place and pick up his truck (in Austin, TX) and bring it back to where I live (Phoenix) and fix it up for him. Now I don't know a whole lot about cars/trucks, but I know his is tore up all to hell, and probably hasn't been used in a year or more. I thought that I could bring it home and fix it up in my spare time. The truck is a 1983 Toyota SR5 4x4 Longbed with an R22 engine.

I was wondering if there would be some good sites or information to check out and get myself familiar with the truck and any major problems I should be aware of. I'm thinking about doing a complete overhaul of the truck, and make it something fun for him to drive again versus the oversized paperweight it is at the moment. I know this is pretty vague, but I don't know where to start myself, and I don't really have immediate access to the truck. I guess it'd be nice to get a good game plan set up for the over haul, i.e. engine cleaning and tune up, replacement parts (if needed), and upgrades. That is just for the mechanics of it all. Appearance will also be worked on, and the interior is, well, non-existent. I'm thinking new paint, new interior, sound system, bodywork, etc... I'd like tomake it pretty beefy so he can tow his boat around with it, beat it up, and all that good stuff. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
orange brick
1980 4x4 pickup
478 Posts
are you planing to do the work yourself or have a mechanic do it for you? you said you were not that great with cars, so i was just wondering. you may find that you will get part of the way into the project and get stuck, so be sure you can finish.

one of the common problems with this model are the exhaust manifolds. they tend to warp and crack and generate exhaust leaks. does it have a 5spd?

if i were you, i would get the engine rebuilt if it had high miles. if it doesn't, maybe a weber 32/36 carb, a header, and a few little goodies for the engine. a new paint job and fix any rust or dents. plus a small suspension lift (like under four inches), new tires/rims and re-gear the axles. fix up the interior too if it has deteriorated.

what is your budget? you could spend between 3 and 10 grand on this and still not be totally done depending on how bad the truck currently is.

too bad your dad has fallen on hard times, hope that you can pull this off.

btw...this site has a lot of good info, try the search function.

·
Del The Funky One
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning to attempt to do most of the work myself (if that makes sense). I'm not familiar with that stuff, but my buddy who will be living with me has more experience and know how. I've also got a few friends that are pretty knowledgeable about trucks in general, so I'm sure they'd be around to help if need be.

I was thinking about having the engine rebuilt, it is old, and does have quite a few miles on it. I don't know exactly how many, but I'm sure its quite a few. I can't recall if it is a five speed, but I'm pretty sure it is.

My budget as of right now is non-existent, but I suppose I could go as much as needed. I just like doing projects and stuff, so I thought it might be fun. However, the cheaper I can make the project, without sacrificing quality, the better. Also, there isn't really a time restriction here, just kind of a fun project to work on in my free time, when I actually get some.

I seached and found very little (forum, google, whatever) which was why I was asking. Maybe I just don't know how to seach, which is a distinct possibility. I guess I was looking for Toy truck specific info to teach myself about it all. Anyway, if anyone happens to think of something that may be of any kind of help, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
orange brick
1980 4x4 pickup
478 Posts
the local community college here has an engine building class, body shop, and automotive painting classes where you bring your own car and work on it. i was thinking of taking those after i get out of college since my truck will need a going over by then. check with your local junior college and check if they offer those kind of classes. that way you can fix up your dad's truck without breaking the bank and you always have someone there to help if you run into problems.

use the advanced search function on this forum, and search for posts by Sidney in the truck forums, he has a lot of good info.

btw...i have a repair manual for an 81, i know are talking about an 83, but they are really similar. if you want it just let me know.

·
Del The Funky One
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll certainly look into the Comm. College thing, it sounds like a great idea and a good way to learn!

I think my dad has a Haynes for the truck, but if not, I may be in touch.

Thanks for the help!

I'll look through the searches I find too!

·
One with the farce
3,975 Posts
Just don't have somebody hack it all up - those are nice trucks. Here is one to drool over. I know it's a shortbox, but who cares...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Our local vocational high school offers classes as well. I'm planning on taking a welding class there. They are pretty cheap. The welding class here is $75 for the basics and the auto body class $175 for nine weeks.

I know there is a big issue with frame rot in these parts, Norhteastern Massachusetts. Not sure out that way. We use a lot of salt and get wet heavy snow that sticks to everything.

80Toy,

I have a 1984 4x4. How do you go about regearing the axles and what are the benefits? I may be interested in doing that as part of my project. Being used to V-8's, I would welcome mods that would improve the performance of the 22R.

Thanks.

·
orange brick
1980 4x4 pickup
478 Posts
maxpower_hd said:
80Toy,

I have a 1984 4x4. How do you go about regearing the axles and what are the benefits? I may be interested in doing that as part of my project. Being used to V-8's, I would welcome mods that would improve the performance of the 22R.

Thanks.
i am not an expert on these things as i have never regeared a truck before, i am not sure if you want the step by step on installing new gears, or what gears to use with your application. if you have never done it before, you should have a shop do it. if you want info on what gears to get

http://toyotanation.com/forum/t108746.html
http://toyotanation.com/forum/t60845.html
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

i know that a Sidney has posted some good info in the truck forum, i couldn't find the specific page i was looking for, but if you search through his stuff it will help.

for upgrading your 22r, check out http://lcengineering.com and that should give you some ideas.

btw...you should post your questions in another thread so you don't hijack this one. just a heads up.

delay_ftb, if want the manual, just pm me, but the haynes one is just as good.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Thanks for the info 80Toy. I wasn't intending to hijack th ethread but had a knee jerk reaction to the regearing suggestion because I simply hadn't thought of it.

Thanks again and here's your thread back.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.