Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Pickup
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on my truck and trying to fix some exhaust issues.

Does anyone know how to take apart the exhaust manifold without taking the entire exhaust system out?

I suspected an exhaust leak from the manifold or gasket. The heat shield was removed, after breaking off 2 bolts. There are a couple of gold pipes bolted onto the exhaust manifold.

What are these pipes? I have a Toyota Factory Service manual but cant seem to find anything in it covering the exhaust manifold or these pipes.

The pipes had a lot of carbon build up. Seems like they need to be cleaned out. I scraped out what I could, but, did not want to use any solvent until I had some more info.

After removing the eat shield and gold pipes, the fun with the bolts and studs on the manifold started. I was able to remove all the rusty studs and bolts and used a lot of PB Blaster to do so. However, some of the studs would not go back in very easy.

Any way, got the manifold off and the gasket. Had a hard time putting it back together due to the gold pipes having a weird angle.

The truck is running much better with the new exhaust manifold gasket. Will probably change out the exhaust manifold in order to get the new bolts onto the heat shield that were previously broken. The closest hanger to the manifold is rusted, as are most of the other hangers and bolts. Will probably have to change them all out in getting to the cat.

I cant tell if the cat from Rock auto will fit or if it needs additional parts. The one from Toyota is around $300.

If anyone has any decent diagrams of the exhaust system, please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The pipes are the EGR recirculation tubes. They wrap behind the head to a flapper valve located below and behind (towards the firewall) the carb. There are three bolts at the bottom of the exhaust cast that attaches it to the twin down pipe. It's basically a pain to take off and put back on. You can loosen the retaining bolt on the back of the head to get a little more play out of the pipes. I also loosen the pipes on the other side at the flapper valve. Then you gets lots of motion. If these are carboned up, so is the tube that goes from the EGR to the intake in between the carb and head. You will need to get a new intake gasket so you can cut off the part you need to put the EGR valve back on when you are done.

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Pickup
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know how to clean these EGR tubes out? THought about getting some solvent and maybe a shot gun bore brush.

THanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
A bore brush and solvents are not bad ideas. You will need a dental pick to chip the carbon out of the EGR to Intake tube. It collects right at the cast elbow where the temperature change is the greatest. On the exhaust side it is compounded with oil mixing with the carbon and being cooked into a tarry substance. To get that out of the head I use a drill bit by hand and keep cleaning the bit off with kerosene or gasoline. The tubes stay mostly open and might just need a quick brushing. Some engine cleaning brushes work well and don't get damaged like a bore brush might as it is copper and not nylon. The EGR system is notorious on the 22R for getting fouled up, but it has a tough job and these trucks can get so many miles on them I think it is a small price to pay.

·
Registered
1985 Toyota Pickup
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Rh1n0-86OneTon. Been trying to figure this out for quite sometime.

Do you know what tool to use to pull the studs out of the block to pull off the EGR tubes and exhaust manifold? The nuts were rusted on the studs, but between the PB blaster and taking them off once, the nuts now turn. Im afraid if I take them off again, I might not be able to get the stud back in the block.

Will probably take the entire EGR system off this weekend and clean out thoroughly.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The studs screw into the head, so jam two nuts together on the stud and use them as a bolt head to back out the stud. Best to replace them. Most auto parts stores carry the studs and nuts, just bring in one so you can match threads. Also it is a good idea to "chase" tap the holes to clean out any crud that's in there. I take an old bolt (of the correct thread), cut a V groove in it with a file or grinder and use that as a tap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts