Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a 1985 toyota corolla with a 4ac engine. I replaced the wires, rotor button and distributor cap and still have a skip. Dont know if the last people that had the car put the wires on wrong , I put the back the same way they were. Anyone know the firing order for this car? Im in the process of waiting for the manual ive ordered. But I cant stand to wait...You know how we are... Once yesterday, I had a combination that sounded like the wires were in the right order but when giving the car a little throttle it was spitting back through the carb. I plugged off the distributor vaccum lines,idled car under 900 r.p.m's and checked the timing. The marks couldnt even reach the 5 degree mark while moving the distibutor. It was real high, however dont know if my wires are on right or not...The timing belt (by the sticker someone placed under the hood) Was replaced not too long ago... Any help appreciated VERY Much. Not alot of info on this engine on web sites, must have not been too popular huh? I just want to use this as a cheap work vehicle.

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
the firing order is 1-3-4-2. the cylinder numbers are marked on the distributor cap(or should be). check for vacuum leaks, the 4ac has more vacuum hoses than horsepower and after 20 years they are probably in pretty bad shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! Yeah vaccum hoses...

Ive sprayed cab cleaner around under the carb and around the hoses but had no change. Will keep trying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts