Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 toyota pickup efi. It died and i replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and afm. the truck runs for a couple minutes then starts spurttering and dies. it does this for a couple times and then it wont start until it sits for a while. i have run out of ideas. the fuel pump has initial power when you turn the key on soit does turn on but i do not know if it is getting turned off or if i have a blockage. What could turn the fuel pump off except the AFM. please email me back.

· Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,677 Posts
Get a fuel pressure gauge and see what's going on.
Should be a fitting on the fuel rail to hook to.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

there is no fitting like a shradder valve. and the only fiting that i can find is a banjo fitting. but i cannot find the right connector. i have wondered if there is something electrical that is shutting off the pump other than the MAF

· Registered
99 Posts
try replacing your coil/igniter and try swapping out your distributor and see what happens. it sounds like a spark problem to me.

also, stand by with a can of starting fluid and spray it in the throttle body when it starts to die. that will tell you if the fuel is cutting out or if the injectors are not getting a signal to fire.

· Registered
montessa, tijeras
46 Posts
ok i got a couple things seeing as how i have an 85 efi and i went through the same crap. first off make sure that the intake tube is connected to the intake manifold when you are starting it, when my truck did this we had it off to spray starter fluid the truck would start run and die so i put it on and after a few cranks it fired right up. Secondly check for holes in the intake tube itself i know that the rubber fittings crack after awhile i believe its because it rests on the radiator hose, but check that cause the truck wont run with a hole(granted it needs to be a decent size)in the intake tube or fittings. just throwing some stuff out there that has happened to me.

· Registered
montessa, tijeras
46 Posts
so let me get this straight. the canadians have invented a car that runs on water? if it ran on cheap blended whiskey, they would still use gas.

canukstanis. they kill me.
I would have to agree that is pretty ignorant, all you are doing is making us americans look stupid, and you obviously dont know crap about fuel. I would guess you are one of those people that goes to the gas station with the chepest prices..not the best idea buddy it usually means their fuel has more WATER in it. Like he said ALL fuel has SOME WATER in it.

· Registered
montessa, tijeras
46 Posts
you have apparently never been to canada. if you are that stupid that you cannot get the joke, then i really do not know what to tell you.
Look man you may have been joking and thats fine, but the point is you were being ignorant and downing on someone because they are from another country, which makes you even more ignorant. And yeah i have been to canada multiple times, and its because of assholes like you that we dont always get treated well while we are there. We all drive toyotas we are all here to ask questions and help out when we can. so dont be a dick and downgrade someones intelligence just because he's from another country.

· Registered
montessa, tijeras
46 Posts
your gonna down on me for name calling, your the dick head downing on someone for being Canadian i dont see how you can even attempt to be a smartass this is all on you buddy and your really not worth the time.

· Registered
99 Posts
apparently you are of the opinion that i was calling somebody names. not that i know of. your intelligence continues to astound. sorry to be working your side of the street. i guess you not only own this internet site, you have and maintain exclusive name calling rights.

· Registered
163 Posts
so let me get this straight. the canadians have invented a car that runs on water? if it ran on cheap blended whiskey, they would still use gas.

canukstanis. they kill me.
YUP!!! WE HAVE DONE JUST THAT ADD SOME WHISKY AND ITS HIGH OCTANE, GEEZ IT WORKS!!.....IF YOU BELIEVE THIS YOU ARE AS STUPID AS EVERYONE SAYS YOU ARE!!!

THE BEST NEIGHBOUR ANYONE WOULD WANT:clap:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.