Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings and salutations -

Installed Helwig helper springs - I found them easy to install, and they work great. About $80, on-line, as I recall.

I'm curious whether a worn or failing steering gear causes slop in the steering; driving, I feel about 10-12 degrees of play - enough to irritate. Linkage - rod-ends - all seem okay. Replaced the dampener when I did my shocks, and it didn't seem to change much.

I'd be interested in a good on-line source for light sockets. My front driver's side turn signal's out; the sockets gunked up and I couldn't get it clean enough to be reliable. On my old VW, I just spent $5.99 and replaced such - where can I do that with Toyota?

Finally, I'm looking for a project pickup for my 15-year-old nephew. Ideally, we'd find a pickup in decent shape that doesn't run, or is about to not run...something he can put elbow grease into and then drive for a few years. We're near Portland, Oregon.

THANKS!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I believe factory calls for something like 1 to 1 1/2 inches of play to be considered normal. These trucks aren't equipt with rack and pinion steering that contains almost 0 amount of play.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Adjust the slack out of the steering box.. There's a nut on top with a slotted screw in the middle of it.... back off the nut and then tighten the screw in 1/4 turn incriments. Go lock to lock a few times between adjustments. Back off the nut counterclockwise and tighten the screw clockwise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts