Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had just recently bought a 1985 Celica GT-S with the Full injected 22-RE motor. Thats about all i know on this car. I see there are alot of forums to browse through but thats just too many to look through to find ideas/parts/performance for this car. I grew up only owning chevy vehicles and haven't had a problem with almost all of them. Lets hope toyota works for me the same way. I am a big fan of the AE86 but like i've seen on the net, WHO ISNT! But I have no idea how to work on a toyota or begin to imagine what to do to supe this car up. So I am here to ask if ANYONE knows where i can find performance ideas or hints or help, that would be great. Ive searched everywhere and i cant find squat. Any idea's please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmm. I haven't checked out the first 2 sites you mentioned but i believe i have checked out the third one. The result wasn't good. But heres a question thats been bothering me for a while. Is the parts for a celica gt-s the same as a corolla gt-s? I've found all kinds of sites for the corolla gt-s for performance parts but not celica. But i honestly dont see whats different about the two cars except different body styles and they both seem to match in that as well.

·
SCCA Tech Services
2005 Corolla S
547 Posts
Gristok said:
Hmm. I haven't checked out the first 2 sites you mentioned but i believe i have checked out the third one. The result wasn't good. But heres a question thats been bothering me for a while. Is the parts for a celica gt-s the same as a corolla gt-s? I've found all kinds of sites for the corolla gt-s for performance parts but not celica. But i honestly dont see whats different about the two cars except different body styles and they both seem to match in that as well.
Well the corolla GTS is a little bit shorter and is a slight different in the body wise. as fo the motor and tranny they are comletely different as the corolla GTs has a 4age and the celica has a 22RE. Also since you have a GTS celica you have independent rear suspension and the corolla GTS has a solid rear suspension. As for lcengineering not having a good result what are you talking about. all they do is build parts for a 22RE motor if you can't find a motor part for the 22RE then you aren't looking right on that site because they make it.

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
They make alot of parts, but by no means EVERY part.
And they are hella expensive [you get what you pay for]

There are ALOT of places online to look for parts.
There are 3 [4 really] engines in that family.
20R [2.2 carb]
22R [carburated]
22RE [Fuel injection]
22RTE [turbo fuel injection]

You have alot of options.
You can convert to carb [gets rid of the AFM, which is a performance bottle neck], bolt ons, IF you can find a turbo engine, all kinds of stuff.
Some people combine the 22R block and 20R head [higher C:R].

What exactly are you looking for?
drag?
autocross?
drift?
??

·
SCCA Tech Services
2005 Corolla S
547 Posts
alltracman78 said:
They make alot of parts, but by no means EVERY part.
And they are hella expensive [you get what you pay for]

There are ALOT of places online to look for parts.
There are 3 [4 really] engines in that family.
20R [2.2 carb]
22R [carburated]
22RE [Fuel injection]
22RTE [turbo fuel injection]

You have alot of options.
You can convert to carb [gets rid of the AFM, which is a performance bottle neck], bolt ons, IF you can find a turbo engine, all kinds of stuff.
Some people combine the 22R block and 20R head [higher C:R].

What exactly are you looking for?
drag?
autocross?
drift?
??
What do you mean not every part. I am not saying they ar ethe only one that makes/sells parts for the 22R. I meant that they make/sell every part for an engine and engine upgrade for a 20R and 22R. And yes LCE is expensive but there quality is 20 times better then any other manufactuer of aftermarket 22 rparts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So do most parts for each of the engines work the same or not? Like i said i have no knowledge on toyota engines, just that i know i have a 22RE motor. I looked on that lcengineering.com site and found parts for the 20R and the 22R But i've also known that a slight engine code change can make a huge difference such as the 22R is carb and mine is fuel injected. But as for what I had in mind for this car was maybe a little of autocross and drift(if needing to swap parts to do different races) But also be able to take it out on the street as well. I don't know . Though me some ideas...Thanks

·
SCCA Tech Services
2005 Corolla S
547 Posts
Gristok said:
So do most parts for each of the engines work the same or not? Like i said i have no knowledge on toyota engines, just that i know i have a 22RE motor. I looked on that lcengineering.com site and found parts for the 20E and the 22R But i've also known that a slight engine code change can make a huge difference such as the 22R is carb and mine is fuel injected. But as for what I had in mind for this car was maybe a little of autocross and drift(if needing to swap parts to do different races) But also be able to take it out on the street as well. I don't know . Though me some ideas...Thanks
I don't think you looked hard enough on lcengineering because if you go to there parts catalog they have 22RE parts and there is no such thing as a 20E. Ther eis a 20R which is probably what you meant. However the 20R is basically the samething as a 22R except a smaller discplacement and a few different thing sin the head and that is it. As for the 22R and the 22RE from 81-84 they are the same thing except one if carbed and one is fuel injected. In 85 Toyota changed the deck heighth of the 22RE and so from 85-95 the 22RE is the same but different then the 81-84 motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL I think i have figured out my problem! The computer I was using at work to look up the parts was not showing the web icons like "next" and "last" to look through each category. I tried it at home and I have found what I am looking for. Sorry for the trouble. And yes Hotwheelharmer, I was referring to the 20R motor i must hvae just misprinted it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Make sure you do go visit the other forums like celica-gts.com. Theres a lot of help there. I too have an '85 GTS. Haven't done much research on it though since I won't have any money to mod it anytime soon. It can be a great fun car. Lots of different swaps have been done to those Celicas. 2jzgte, 1jzgte, 7mgte, 1ggte and so on. A lot of information out there to get it to where you want it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts