Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'86 Toy P/U, X3
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im totally stumped on this, my trans will slip into first gear once a day (most days and mostly the first ten minutes of driving) if I keep driving it at like 20 kms it will start changing gears after a minute or two, but it would normally act up again. if I pull over and shut it down for a couple minutes, its fine for the day (even if it doesn't run for 5 hours) it acts up a lot more when its really wet or raining a lot, but if I let off the gas that split second, it will resume working properly.

I have looked at everything except electrical and vacuum hoses (if there is any)

oh and she has the ECT and overdrive

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
'86 Toy P/U, X3
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G282 i believe is the tranny, if not A340H but i think thats the transfer case?

·
Registered
'86 Toy P/U, X3
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so I cleaned 5 electrical connections and sealed them but it still slipped on the way home. the connections were under the intake by the starter. im out of ideas. fluid was changed and a new filter just last fall, oh and a flush, but the trans still acted up once in a while and slowly got worse.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Did it happen before the flush? Lots of times flushes can stir up crap that never caused problems before, and wouldn't cause problems with a drain and fill. Also if a tranny filter has never been done it is usually a bad idea to do it at high mileage, however if you drain and fill several times before a filter change, which is possible due to the drain plug that most(or all?) of our transmissions have but most automatics don't, it should get rid of the crap that can be stirred up.

·
Registered
'86 Toy P/U, X3
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep it did it before and stopped for a while after then started again. im starting to wonder about the shift solenoids, there's 3 that I know of but what one does what?

·
Registered
'86 Toy P/U, X3
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh and about the fluid change, I had a leaking line for a while so there was constantly new synthetic getting poured in. would it be safe to use non synthetic for the fill and drain procedure?

·
Corona is gone.
86 Pickup
863 Posts
Dino and synthetic oils are compatible. Not a problem.

·
Registered
86 toyota pickup SR5
94 Posts
I also have an 86 SR5 auto trans. After I put in the new fluid (pull hose off of rad run truck till 1.5qt pump out, add 1.5qt...repeat until fluid was clean to sight. approx 10qt). every once in a while it will slip in 1st gear right after started on a cool morning, then not again for weeks. the only constant is that its gotta be just about freezing 0C / 32F. (oh yeah i did also drop the pan and replace the filter).

so i am wondering too, where to look.

·
Registered
'86 Toy P/U, X3
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so I put a speedo cable on and all seems to be cured! 5 days so far!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts