Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i found this 86 Ae86 coupe thats in very good conditions and will probably make a deal for it tomorow. I need to know if this car is a good drifting car or if its comparable with the HB Ae86.

here's the description:
1986 TOYOTA COROLLA, 1.8l eng, 5 spd, sunroof, Edelbrock carburator, headers, 2" exh, polished wheels

*the car looks VERY CLEAN...and it runs.

Any corolla pros out there with comments?

Thanks.

·
Ha Ha! Noses on dowels!
165 Posts
HB and coupe are the same perf. wise, except the coupe is apparently 40 pounds lighter. big deal. :banana:

looks wise, well its up to the driver. if you want to drift, go with a coupe so you dont fall in the takumi lovers club.

·
Registered
419 Posts
1.8l engine? What did the previous owner put in there a 3tc engine?

ae86's came in both gts and sr5 trim. the sr5 came with the 4ac engine.

If you want to drift, hb and coupe will perform the same just as baartman said.

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool thanks!!

i do wonder why this dud says he has a 1.8l engine...probably he has NO IDEA what he has. anyhow here's a link of the car i'm going to see tomorow...probably buy too.

http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery/showalbum.php?aid=1520&uuid=1248

This is his actual description:
1986 TOYOTA COROLLA, 1.8l eng, 5 spd, sunroof, Edelbrock carburator, headers, 2" exh, polished wheels, new tires, runs and looks perfect, clean in and out, must see

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
100 Posts
well corolla's are only 1.6L, and the ae86 is fuel injected not carburated.
Which implies it's an SR5 not a GTS, and from the looks its an SR5.

·
since 1996
05 Impreza RS 2.5
1,772 Posts
Ya it's an SR5. You want a GT-S.

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok...i'm getting this car for fixing/drifting

Is that car in the pic, with the 1.8l CARBURATED engine RWD or FWD?

I gotta do some research on SR5 vs GTS...differences:rolleyes:

·
Registered
419 Posts
The sr5 is an ae86.

etxxz, ask the owner what engine is in there. There is a possibility that the owner added the carbs, header and exhaust to the stock 4ac, but you may be lucky and he/she swapped these on the 3tc engine.

Car in the pic would be rwd.

·
Registered
Corolla GTS
164 Posts
According to www.hachiroku.net this is what they say about the 2 models:

Factory Body Differences:

-Coupes/Notchback:
If you are going to drive seriously, the coupe has a few advantages over the hatchback. One reason is that it weights about 20-40 lbs. less than a hatchback. Reason being is that it doesn’t have the big heavy hatch, with the big sheet of glass.
Coupes are slightly more rigid compared to hatchbacks.It’s hard to haul tons of stuff around though. Some colors like silver and white are rare colors on the coupes as opposed to hatchbacks.

-Hatchbacks/LiftBacks:
2 doors with rear hatch They can haul more things because of the back hatch. Takumi drove one, that helps make a much better show car, sadly. Hatches often rust quite quickly. Only hatchbacks where sent to Australia

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
it is very possible that the car is a GT-S but swapped with a 3TC like hachi_slow said. and being in Florida (Puerto Rican country :D ) i wouldn't be suprised if it's got a 1.8L set-up for drag. it is also possible that it's got a crazy owner and did a 7AG and run an edelbrock carb, but who knows!

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, new info.

I just came back from looking at the car and here's whats up. Yes, he swapped engines to the 1.8L (from older corolla), he has a bigass elderok 4-hole carburator (compared to stock -close friend w/ '84 HB- ITS HUGE) the car looks very nice, some paint chips, some rust (all fixable by me)

BUT

HE HAS NO POWER STEERING, clutch is almost gone, it WILL need a new one...aparently he has a drag setup. No A/C (i'd do this too) MSD, headers, a very shitty 2" exhaust (bought pipes at Auto discount and welded them together!)

*Heh, i had to literally use both my hands AND body weight to reverse outa that parking lot!

heh the funny thing is, he wants 2000USD , I went with 1300cash, hoping to spend 1200 AT MOST (moded) but after seeing it. 500US prob not worth it.

to drift i'd need to put P/S plus a clutch (i can do myself) but its like $600+ in parts...nah F that!

Thanks for helps neways! you've been a great crowd!

·
Registered
see signature
366 Posts
the hatchback can carry more tofu :hammer:
just playin with u man...;) good luck with wutever u decide to do...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Who told you that you need PS to drift? Especially in these corollas, I've heard of a lot of people taking out the PS just for drift/track/autox (myself included).

If the owner set it up for drag, then he probably has a stout rear axle in there (maybe a celica supra). I highly doubt he left the sr5 rear axle in there.

Post up the car on club4ag.com. If you don't want it...someone else will buy that thing for that price.

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dud, you will need P/S for drifting. There is no way you can turn the wheel as fast as you should. For dragging its a different story.

I still havent given up on the car, i'm going to research a reinstalling p/s on this biatch...if its not cost effective, i'll post up for someone to buy...

BTW that car with that engine is not even good for draggin...its slow like big hairy balls...i'm guessing high 16s, low 17s in a 1/4mi...IF NOT MORE:lol:

·
Registered
419 Posts
No offense, but have you ever drifted an ae86 before?

Also, if that car does have a 3tc engine in it, ask the puerto ricans what engine is good for dragging in an ae86. A well set up 3tc engine in a corolla will run lower than those numbers (maybe it's not tuned properly).

But anyways, good luck with your search. Don't settle for an sr5 unless it's mint. The most you should pay for an sr5 (stock & mint) would be $1k.

·
.....drifto time.....
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, i thought that 1.3k was a lot...2000...he must be hi...BTW he IS puerto rican. How much do you think a re-p/s would cost me?

His 1.8L engine wont pull under 16.5...evar. I have drifted (kinda if sliding around in empty pk lot counts) and i've tried sliding in my acura while wet and trust me, you want FAST steering.

·
Immortal
332 Posts
etxxz said:
yeah, i thought that 1.3k was a lot...2000...he must be hi...BTW he IS puerto rican. How much do you think a re-p/s would cost me?

His 1.8L engine wont pull under 16.5...evar. I have drifted (kinda if sliding around in empty pk lot counts) and i've tried sliding in my acura while wet and trust me, you want FAST steering.
Hehe.... I'd pay a good amount of money for a well built 3TC power AE86. They will go faster than 16.5 BTW... in fact, they have the potential to be far faster than a GTS any day. The 3TC is a HEMI... =P... Seriously now... it's an awesome drag motor. Probably one of the best old-school drag engines to come out of Japan. I've seen well-built 3TC's in Stalets run 11-10 second passes in the 1/4 mile. 2,000 is a fair deal. It's not gonna be easy to find a good condition AE86 GTS for less than 2-3 grand... so you're out of luck in that deaprtment... unless you wanna settle for an SR5... but those things lack power to drift.

As for PS... it's not needed. If you think you need power steering to drift... I suggest you consider a new sport. It's not needed... in fact, people prefer to not have PS just because the feel is better. I myself have no PS in my track AE86... As for making a comparison with your Acura... well... it's FWD. FWD cars don't act like RWD cars. It takes more than simply sliding to drift... but anyway. Have you ever driven a car w/o Power Steering? It's not bad once the car is moving. Power steering just makes those slow speed parking lot maneuvers easier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts