Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 4x4 Custom Cab pickup, 340,000 miles, full back seat, new fiberglass bed, engine in great condition. I've owned this truck since it was new. I had the tranny overhauled 3 years ago at 320,000, and it ran great--until last week. After starting it, I engaged the clutch with the tranny in neutral, and there was a sort of cracking noise. I now have a loud rumbling noise whenever the clutch in engaged, wheather driving or parked. The repair estimate ranges from $400 to $1,000, depending on if the issue goes beyond the input shaft bearing.

My question: Is it worth doing the repair? I will probably be selling the truck soon, since I really only use it as a spare car anymore (the kids are grown up now). My next truck will probably be a Tundra with a bit more towing capacity. This truck also needs $200-$300 worth of carb work (a rebuild kit didn't do the trick). I'd welcome any thoughts about if I'm likely to get back the money for the repair at sale time or not. Location is in Montana.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I would vote fixing it. The truck value would be really low if you left it alone.
I rebuilt my transmission myself. The input shaft bearing is easy to get to and you don't have to disassemble the whole transmission to do it.

That's what happened to my truck. The input shaft bearing went out and sound like I was grinding flour with rocks.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,630 Posts
It's doubtful you'll be able to recoup a $1K transmission bill or $400 for a carb on a truck with that kind of mileage on it. May be some of it, but not all. A truck almost 30 yrs old and 340K is only going to be worth so much. It may be worth while to sell it as is to someone who wants to build it and wheel it.

Reactions: Ken Oravsky
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.