Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1986 ext cab 4x4 pickup with 157K on the 4 cyl motor. Previous owner never changed the timing chain.
What's the risk here? My understanding is that this vintage vehicle has an actual chain, not a belt.
If it goes, will it distroy the engine? Will it give any warning signs prior to breaking?

Obviously I'm no mechanic but would like to drive this truck for another 100K if possible. It has been very well maintained and runs great.
What does it cost to replace a chain on this truck....any other things to check or look out for?

I would appreciate any info

Thx

·
Official TN Asshole
85 yota/ 99 audi s4
668 Posts
i've heard that if it goes while driving it can cause damage to the motor..

i think its fairly inexpensive to change, so, if you had the money, you could do that and not have to worry about it for a long time.

·
Registered
4 toyotas
1,045 Posts
you didn't state the engine it has--- i presume a 22RE----
i would recommend changeing the chain--
can be done in the normal garage with a minimum of tools-- just time and a good book to follow

with a chain , the chain WILL streach over time and wear into the side of the waterpump/chain cover==== coolant leak INSIDE the engine and more problems !!!!!! (and more expence)

AT LEAST--- pull the valve cover (no expence) and look at the chain guides----- you should be able to see BOTH ends sticking up !!!! if you don't see BOTH sides of the chain guide=(black plastic)==== CHANGE THE CHAIN and guides NOW !!!!!!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
its possible that it could have bent a valve or a few of them but unlikely, mine didnt when it busted the guides and went off time so far that it wouldnt run anymore, last fall

do a compression check on all cylinders to make sure

or fill each cylinder with air after backing off the rocker adjutment til the valves are closed or suposed ot be closed to make sure they are sealing and not bent

replacing the tming set is not hard to do, remove the balancer and p/s brackets and such and pull the front two oil pan bolts and pull the timign cover off, not a big deal, takes a few hours to do for most ppl

can get a complete kit with the tensioner and everything for about 40 bucks at the local stores thats what i did for my 88 last fall and its been fine but i didnt seal up something correctly somewhere and ive had an oil leak ever since that i need to attend to if i can figure out where its coming from exactly but i am thinking it is coming from the balancer seal or oil pump

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts