Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 86 long bed with no title, and that im just parting out. I was going to take off the cab and make the bed a trailer. My question is can i remove the gears in the rear end without the axles coming out? I have never worked on this diff before and am not sure. I would like to save the 5 speed gearing to go with the 5 speed trans i pulled from it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You have to remove the axles to remove the chunk. It also provides the support for the axles in the center of the rear. Unless you come up with a way for the axles to be supported without the chunk installed, I would leave it complete or get a trailer axle with 4.5" bolt circle and just replace it. If it is a 1 ton axle, you can sell it to me and make enough to get the trailer axle from Northern no problem. :thumbsup:

·
One with the farce
3,234 Posts
You could also use a rear axle from a doge mini van or something similar...lots of them around.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Look around for a used 3rd, that way you can just leave the 3rd that's in the axle right where it is. Used 3rd's are pretty common and inexpensive (at least 8" 4WD ones are). Post in the WANTED forums of Toyota BBS's like this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts