Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my truck about a year back, weber carb, supposedly "rebuilt" engine with 30x miles on it.

Driving from California to kentucky, when I hit new mexico I started having little to almost no power. Going up small hills others are flying by me at 65 and im struggling to go 30. It started making this insane gurgling and or backfiring noise if i press on the throttle to much. Acts like its gunna die. It dosent overheat. Just, no power, whatsoever. Id love to hear ideas of what yall think this might be. She still goes, but i just cross my fingers everytime i see a hill coming up. Only 600 more miles.
HALP.

·
Super Moderator
13,542 Posts
A too-rich carb setup becoming really noticeable at altitude?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuel filter, fuel pump?
Will it rev when in neutral and what does it do going down hill?
We haven't tried troubleshooting the fuel filter or pump, that might be next on the list.
When revving in neutral, it revs up just fine and pops/backfires when the throttle is released.
Downhill: Runs better downhill, but still gargle/pops if the pedal is pressed 80% or so. And it has always gurgled if slowed downhill with the transmission whatsoever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any black smoke? Is the choke stuck on?
No black smoke. I adjusted the carburator yesterday back to a more standard mixture and picked up the idle a bit.
How should I check if the choke is stuck? I adjusted that too, so it rests in the open position but is still plenty sensitive to close and move.
How should I check if it's stuck?

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,835 Posts
We haven't tried troubleshooting the fuel filter or pump, that might be next on the list.
When revving in neutral, it revs up just fine and pops/backfires when the throttle is released.
Downhill: Runs better downhill, but still gargle/pops if the pedal is pressed 80% or so. And it has always gurgled if slowed downhill with the transmission whatsoever.
If it's popping during a de-cel it's running rich!
Pull the plugs and take a look. Or at least the easy ones:)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Which weber is it? The 32/36 progressive? Manual or electric choke? Basically you just take the air cleaner off and look at the choke plate and make sure it is open, and that it doesn't get pulled shut when you step on the gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts