Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the truck was running fine and one day wouldnt start check the coil got spark , checked the fuel going to the carb it getting fuel then added some gas to 2bb carb wouldnt start. spark plugs are black and smells like running rich i live in north carolina no one wants to rebuild the carb here. Is the carb need rebuilding , but it should run just by pourin gas in the carb it should run until fuel is burned but it will run like it is starvin for gas wanting to crank but boggs and then die. any ideas? i set the timing right with a tech

·
Corona is gone.
86 Pickup
863 Posts
Try some good grammar in your posts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stuck

In the carb the gas level in the window is high not in the middle like it surpose to. but i used ngk plugs are they bad for a import

·
Machine Tool Engineer
03 Corolla S, 86 PU
16 Posts
pull off the valve cover and see if you can pull up on the timing chain. if so, then your timing guides may be broken, mine were. I had the same issue.
this will throw the timing off and will be very hard to set if both guides broke.

if this is the case, it is an afternoon of work at least pulling out the rad, the cover , replacing the guides, and chain, and cam sprocket and resealing everything.
it says in the book to pull the head, but i didnt and mine works great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
in charlotte

good deal man i will check that out it was sitting bout a day and i went to start it and it started fine ran good for bout 30 sec then died again. i will check the timing chain and the guides

·
Machine Tool Engineer
03 Corolla S, 86 PU
16 Posts
take a screw driver, locate the top middle of the sprocket, then use the screwdriver to pull up on the chain if you have any movement, it needs parts.
you may not see the guides too easily. they are hard to see, especially if you dont know what they look like or location of them
use a flashlight to look down in the cover if you can.
chances are if you do have play you may as well replace everything. i got all my replacement parts from ebay, aluminum timing cover, cam sprocket, chain guides. ran me about $100 for everything incl. shipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts