Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am considering replacing the clutch in our plow truck. I have used this truck for plowing for the past 6 years. It had a new clutch put in it right before I bought the truck (40,000+ miles ago). Anyway, the clutch use to engage right near the top half. Now, you need to push it all the way to the firewall. When you let it out about an inch it really start to grab and jerk the dritrain. So anyways, I am thinking a new clutch.

My question is first is this actually the clutch that is the problem and if it is should I just replace it with a OEM clutch or a HD type of clutch since it is getting used for a plow truck.

Thanks, sorry it is long...

·
Registered
'20 gray crewcab 4x4; sold '09 access cab 4x4, '94 T100 4x4, '85 4x4, '82 2x4 pickup
490 Posts
First make sure your hydraulic cylinders are ok. I would expect a clutch to last well beyond 40k miles, even with relatively hard use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reb said:
First make sure your hydraulic cylinders are ok. I would expect a clutch to last well beyond 40k miles, even with relatively hard use.
Since I am somewhat new to this area of mecahnics (clutch), by cylinders are you refering to the clutch master and clutch release cylinders? How do I go about checking if these are ok? I read in the chiltons manual how to bleed the hydraulic system. Should I try doing this to see if the fluid is low or if I have leaks?

Sorry for all of the "noob" ?'s

thanks for your help:)

·
Registered
'20 gray crewcab 4x4; sold '09 access cab 4x4, '94 T100 4x4, '85 4x4, '82 2x4 pickup
490 Posts
Take the cap off the clutch master cylinder and check the fluid level. If it is low, you have a leak. The simplest fix is to replace the faulty cylinder. Too find the faulty cylinder, look around each for fluid on the outside. A common symptom of failure of the master cylinder is a leak around the actuating rod, which will probably show up on the inside of the truck where the rod comes through. If it is full, then I would suspect the clutch.
Note: the clutch hydraulic system is independent of the brake system. The bleeding instructions you mention are probably for the brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts