Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
'87 Mr2 Growler
1987 Mr2
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know turbo's are pretty expensive, that's about everything I know about a turbo, since I don't follow them so much. All I know is it pushes air out of the manifold, and works as a turbine to push cold air back in the intake. Anyways... for a 1987 Mr2 4AGE engine, What would you guys think it's the best turbo and cost effective?

Some reviews I've read say it's just not puting a turbo, you have to see if the pistons will handle more air presure...am I right? So, would it be best to get a lower compression ratio pistons , those like the supercharged version (4AGZE) ? Another thing is they say you have to mess with the timing of the engine, like 20* forward, so that the piston anticipates the exact time for the valves to close/open.

4AGE = 9:5.1 (?)
4AGZE = 8:7.1 (? )

:confused:

·
Registered
146 Posts
as far as compression ratio, the 4age should be able to handle low boost with no problem...like 6-9psi. 9.5:1 is not very high compression. most turbocharged honda have higher compression.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
i think u have to have a manifold custom made....can't think of any companies that sell a kit for mk1s....HKS used to make a twin charge kit but those are rare to find nowadays.....

i know of one turbo mk1 that is local....the manifold was a one off custom made by my friends shop...i dont think they will replicate another one.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts