Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 pick up with a 1990 22re in it. I am having a hell of a time getting this thing timed so I can go smog it. I cannot get the idle low enough to time it. I got it set between 5-8 degrees . When you give it throttle it just falls on it’s face. The timing reverses rather than advancing with throttle. Purrs like a kitten at idle. No vacuum leaks. Anybody have any ideas

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,604 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

When you set yer timing, did you jumper the round connector attached to the fender wall so it could be timed correctly? What is yer current idle RPMs? Is the check engine light on? If so, what were the code(s) pulled? How good is yer TPS? ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to replace tps next. Yes I jumped it .current idle is 1200 can’t get it any lower . No check engine light. Idle screw even turned all the way down.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,604 Posts
It would seem that air is gitting into the intake system...which means you have a vacuum leak. Try using an unlit propane torch with a hose attached to the nozzle so you can direct the propane around the various points. Start the engine and take yer time probing with the propane hose. I think you will eventually find where the vacuum leak is at. ;)

How good is yer PCV valve and hose? ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PcV is all good !! Pretty new actually. I took a can of starting fluid to everything to find vacuum leaks I found two and fixed them. Egr gasket was bad and a cracked hose. Tested egr it is working. My buddy has a extra TPS I’m going to try after that i have no clue haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts