Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Camrytogo
A Smooth Camry
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone! Well I got some help from a friend I found here in this site that had pictures of his Camry with a turbocharger on it, If anyone knows please feel free and let me in. Anyhow, I am starting a Turbo project but want to know if I am missing a couple of things. So far, this is what I have>> Car has only 74,000 miles!

1.Nology Spark Plug wires
2.Denso Iridium Spark Plugs
3.Custom Intake
4.Unorthdox Crank Pulley
5.T3 Turbo
6.MR2 Manifold
7.Universal Waste gate
8.Manual Boost Control-Switch to Electronic Boost Controller
9.Fuel Pressure Regulator
10.Intercooler
11.MSD Ignition
12.Oil Pressure Gauge-Volt Gauge
13 Venom Fuel pump
14.Universal O-2 Sensor

Well thats it:disappoin

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Is it really worth turboing tho?

It's an old car and its a pretty weak motor...
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see many miles after you finally turbo your car. Especially w/ a t3 turbo. A t3 is implying that your looking for huge numbers...Huge numbers is dangerous on such an old car...

If you're serious about turboing, get a smaller turbo. Unless you are actually gonna go for huge numbers...Otherwise the extra amount spent on the t3 is wasted $$.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
^ what? a T3 will be alright
mileage is an issue, so is the stock clutch or auto tranny, but a T3 will do fine.

·
Rotor > Piston
91 Camry, 90 RX7
411 Posts
how good are you at wiring? it will probably be easier and cheaper to drop a 3s-gte in there, but considering you already have this stuff i dont know. does the mr2 manifold have a t3 flange? you're going to need a custom exhaust, or downpipe put in. you're going to need some way of controlling fuel (SAFC, standalone, etc) and you're going to need to get it tuned. I wouldnt' go with a jet chip...ever. depending on boost levels you might need to get bigger injectors if they are high on their duty cycle. you'll also need some sort of blow off valve.

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
4,900 Posts
Fuel Injectors 300+

ELECTRONIC BOOST CONTROLLER! dont get the manual, read the boards here and their thoughts on them

3sgte MAP sensor

I would grab a SAFC with the MSD

ill look again later, i gotta go! GL with the project

·
Grenaded piston
6,602 Posts
1. T3 turbo will work just fine. However you need a adapter to use it with a stock 3S-GTE turbo manifold.

T3s usually have a internal wastegate. So your going to have to bypass it if you want to use an external wastegate.

2. Jet doesn't do shit. For all I'm concerned their scam artists.

3. All the piping will have to be custom made.

4. Don't listen to CamNub. He dunno shit about turbos. :lol:

5. 3S-GTE map sensor will not work in this case. Gen 2 Camrys with 3S-FE use a AFM.

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
4,900 Posts
oh i did not know that! learn something new everyday!

dont forget your array of gauges, oil, boost, vacuum, egt, auto tranny - tranny temp, AFR wideband, dont get a narrow band, wont doy ou any good in tuning

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Luckynumber5 said:
^ what? a T3 will be alright
mileage is an issue, so is the stock clutch or auto tranny, but a T3 will do fine.
T3's are giant.......

Sure it works, but its pointless unless your going to go for huge ass numbers..
You'd be better off w/ just a ct-26. You guys kno what im sayin?

·
Grenaded piston
6,602 Posts
CamNub said:
T3's are giant.......

Wrong again as usual. :disappoin

Look up the specs, flow charts, etc.. for a T3.

CT-26 is bigger then a T3 size wise.

If you think T3's are giant, you haven't seen anything. Look at a turbo on a diesel semi-truck, their T1xx. The compressor housing is a good 10" - 12" around.

T3
----

·
Camrytogo
A Smooth Camry
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
powderblue91 said:
how good are you at wiring? it will probably be easier and cheaper to drop a 3s-gte in there, but considering you already have this stuff i dont know. does the mr2 manifold have a t3 flange? you're going to need a custom exhaust, or downpipe put in. you're going to need some way of controlling fuel (SAFC, standalone, etc) and you're going to need to get it tuned. I wouldnt' go with a jet chip...ever. depending on boost levels you might need to get bigger injectors if they are high on their duty cycle. you'll also need some sort of blow off valve.
Ok I won't put the chip on then np. All the wiring is done by a friend,Asian of course! Me and him are trying to start a small team with only Toyotas>>now when your talking about SAFC that’s that electronic device that acts like gauges? Only in Digital I see it on EBay.:thumbup:

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,854 Posts
CamNub said:
T3's are giant.......

Stop talking out of your ass unless you have actually done it. A T3 will spool earlier AND flow more than a CT26 if done right.

A T3 will spool at under 3k RPM on a 2L motor like the 3s-fe. I know, I've had one.

If you keep the boost reasonable, you can just run a simple rising-rate fuel pressure regulator for extra fuel on-boost. I ran my car at 5psi for 10k miles with no motor problems with just a RRFPR for fuel tuning. Keep in mind that the stock ECU will never know its seeing boost - it has no MAP sensor.

-Charlie

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
white90dx said:
Stop talking out of your ass unless you have actually done it. A T3 will spool earlier AND flow more than a CT26 if done right.

A T3 will spool at under 3k RPM on a 2L motor like the 3s-fe. I know, I've had one.

If you keep the boost reasonable, you can just run a simple rising-rate fuel pressure regulator for extra fuel on-boost. I ran my car at 5psi for 10k miles with no motor problems with just a RRFPR for fuel tuning. Keep in mind that the stock ECU will never know its seeing boost - it has no MAP sensor.

-Charlie
Dude, I got the fucking turbo's mixed up. I was thinkin of one of the big ass "T" turbos..

Chill the fuck out...

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,854 Posts
tropic2090 said:
I was wondering were can I get a adapter to bolt my T3 Turbo to the MR2 Manifold? Also which Fuel Injectors do I need to run the turbo application? :)
If you have access to a welder, just buy a T3 flange and a CT26 flange and custom make an adapter. Professionally made adapters do exist, but they are hard to buy separately from turbo upgrade kits for 3s-gte's...

Keep the boost low and you can keep your stock fuel injectors. Just use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to allow your stock fuel injectors to flow enough fuel...

-Charlie

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,854 Posts
CamNub said:
Dude, I got the fucking turbo's mixed up. I was thinkin of one of the big ass "T" turbos..

Chill the fuck out...
Seriously though, two different people corrected you and you insisted you were still right. Mis-information is a major problem on car forums, and I do my best to keep it to a minimum.

I agree with you sentiment in the first post - you really do have to think seriously about modifying an old car. It very often really isn't worth it... that being said, we still want to help the guy out. ;)

-Charlie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts