Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I just inherited a 1988 pick up from a friend. I'm not super automotively inclined, but I can follow directions well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The truck was given to me with the 4x4 light on. I had a friend look underneath the truck while I was slowly driving it. The front drive shaft was spinning, which I'm told means that there is power going to the front wheels... and, if hubs are locked, the truck would be in 4x4.

The gear shift stick for the 4x4 moved around a bit but didn't seem engage or disengage the 4x4.

So, I took it apart. I pulled off the cover and pulled the stick out of (what I'm told is called) the transfer case.

So now I'm staring at the transfer case and have NO idea what to do.

Ideas?

·
Sailor
87 SR5 4wd
333 Posts
Here is a photo of the transfer case that I'm trying to fix

And here is the truck
I have a 1987 4wd which is hard to shift in and out of 4 wd. I know it is not because of high mileage because the truck only has 67,ooo miles on it. It is probably just the opposite because my dad ( the previous owner) never used 4 wd except to use it every few months as advised by the operators manual. I plan to change the oil with some high quality, perhaps synthetic lube. I checked the oil and it looks like new but is probably the original. You might want to check out this site regarding the shifter bushing. Regards.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/hardware-tools/hardware/heavy-duty-shifter-seat-forward-shift

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply,

When I took the 4x4 shifter off, I noticed that the old seat was all busted up.

Would that have caused the shifter not to work?

The heavy duty looks like a good one to replace it with.

The question is. How do I do that?

·
Sailor
87 SR5 4wd
333 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply,

When I took the 4x4 shifter off, I noticed that the old seat was all busted up.

Would that have caused the shifter not to work?

The heavy duty looks like a good one to replace it with.

The question is. How do I do that?
Take a look at these urls: http://www.brian894x4.com/Shifter.html

http://www.marlincrawler.com/docs/shifter_seat/index.html

Also look at marlins site for a page (if it is still on the site) that helps identify which model transfer case you have installed. You will need the info to order the bushing.

I have two trucks. My 2wd 5 speed transmission had the problem with the shifter bushing and it definitely prevented me from shifting. I bought marlins bushing and it solved my problem. Though I have not had the bushing problem in my 4wd transfer case, I feel it definitely could be your issue if the bushing is destroyed.

I recommend you change out your transfer case oil after changing the bushing since there are probably lots of little pieces of plastic in the oil. I changed my oil then drove it then changed it again to make sure the transmission was flushed ok. Do a search on toyotanation's website under transmission or transfer shifter bushing and previous posts will be helpful. Have fun.

·
Sailor
87 SR5 4wd
333 Posts
Take a look at these urls: http://www.brian894x4.com/Shifter.html

http://www.marlincrawler.com/docs/shifter_seat/index.html

Also look at marlins site for a page (if it is still on the site) that helps identify which model transfer case you have installed. You will need the info to order the bushing.

I have two trucks. My 2wd 5 speed transmission had the problem with the shifter bushing and it definitely prevented me from shifting. I bought marlins bushing and it solved my problem. Though I have not had the bushing problem in my 4wd transfer case, I feel it definitely could be your issue if the bushing is destroyed.

I recommend you change out your transfer case oil after changing the bushing since there are probably lots of little pieces of plastic in the oil. I changed my oil then drove it then changed it again to make sure the transmission was flushed ok. Do a search on toyotanation's website under transmission or transfer shifter bushing and previous posts will be helpful. Have fun.
Hey, I looked at Marlin's website and it appears they have revamped it. I can not find the pages that made it easy to identify (for a novice like me) what type of transfer case you have installed. I think you have an old gear type like me which is good, no chain.
Anyway, Marlin should be able to answer your questions if you call them. I called them and they were really helpful when I ordered my bushing kit. Regards. Sailor

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks sailor,

That link was great. Do you think the install for my 4x4 shifter would be the same as the regular shifter?

I guess I'll need to order a shifter seat, end cap, gasket and some t-case oil.

Can you think of any thing else?

I don't suppose anyone knows of a website where a replacement of the 4x4 shifter seat has been documented?

Thanks again everyone

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Do you realize those parts are for the transmission shifter, not the t-case shifter?

Also, are you trying to shift out of 4WD with the hubs locked or unlocked?
Sometimes trying to do it with them unlocked ciuses the problem.

And if the t-case shifter isn't doing anything, maybe it's not in right (yes, it can be installed wrong).

And as far as trannies go, if you have a 22RE it's a W56, if you have a 22R it's a G52.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
And if you have a 3.0 it's an R150F trans.

Or if your truck has the Toyota ADD system it's a G58.
And if you do have ADD, the problem could be there, not the t-case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks fourwd1,

I do realize that those parts are for the transmission and not the t-case.

But, I think I might need the same or similar things for my t-case. When I took off the boot and the shifter of the t-case, I saw that the shifter seat had broken apart and there was no end cap on the shifter.

Should there be an end cap on the t-case shifter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took some pics

Here is the 4x4 shifter seat

Here is the end of the shifter

Here is something else that seemed to be floating around

And this is the transfer case with its top back on.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I can't see the pics here at work, they block pic-hosting web sites.

It would really help to know what tranny/t-case you have.

The 4 cyl t-case shifter does not have a plastic cap/cup on the end like the tranny shifter does, not sure about the 6 cyl t-case, but most likely it doesn't either.

·
Sailor
87 SR5 4wd
333 Posts
thanks fourwd1,

I do realize that those parts are for the transmission and not the t-case.

But, I think I might need the same or similar things for my t-case. When I took off the boot and the shifter of the t-case, I saw that the shifter seat had broken apart and there was no end cap on the shifter.

Should there be an end cap on the t-case shifter?

Thanks!
The link I provided was for the bushing for the transfer case not transmission. I have not had to change out the bushing in the transfer case but it sure looks similar from your pictures as my 2 wd transmission shifter. Try calling Marlin - they can validate what you need to order and whether an end cap is needed - I assume yes from your picture. Keep us posted too with your success and what you find out. I may just change mine out too in order to fix my stiff shifting problem. I will look in the factory service manual to see if the "spring thing" that was floating around is used for? Regards. Sailor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, here is a pic of the transfer case after it was shifted out of high 4x4 to 4x2.

This is a look at the 4x4 shifter top

And here is another look at that spring thing which I don't know what to do with,

·
Sailor
87 SR5 4wd
333 Posts
Well, here is a pic of the transfer case after it was shifted out of high 4x4 to 4x2.

This is a look at the 4x4 shifter top

And here is another look at that spring thing which I don't know what to do with,

I looked through the transfer case section of fsm and could not see a picture of that spring. was it jusy laying there or attached to shifter cover?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the saga continues

So,

I went to the dealer to get a shifter seat for the t-case shifter.

But the only seat he has is for the transmission shifter.

So I call Marlin Crawler and ask them if they have one. The guy says yes but that I don't need one. I and I say, but I do... cause mine is broken. And he says 88 pick ups don't have them.

So I sent him some pics.

In the mean time I think I've figured out the spring thing. I turned over the top of the t-case and saw some little holes and thought that's where the spring goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We'll I got it all cleaned up and reassembled.

the spring goes on the underside of the transfer case cap. There are two holes for it to insert.

Now I have a fully functioning t-case shifter.

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts