Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The experenced New Be
1988 Camry
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I am new to this forum so I don't quite know how fast you get reply's.

First problem I have with my 1988 Camry is starting it. It sat for 5 months. I was able to get it started but each start requires the gas pedal to be pumped while turning over. it starts in about 10 seconds cold. How can i fix this?

The second problem I am having is while driving. It takes a some gas in order to get it moving when you first shift it from park to Drive or Reverse. and once you drive for about 100 feet it goes away, but the bottom end is really weak. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,

These Camry's are FI, not carbureted, so pumping the gas will not result in fuel being squirted into the intake.

I'd start with the ignition basics: plugs, cap, rotor and wires. Then filters (fuel and air). The various EFI sensors next, starting with O2.

Kind of a shotgun approach, yes, but after sitting for a long time it's best to perform this type of maintenance anyway.

Good luck!

·
The experenced New Be
1988 Camry
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went through all of that prior to starting it for the first time. new plugs, inspected ignition wires, inspected distributor it all seemed fine. I have yet to check all of the sensors though. When starting a Fuel injected car, gas is being pumped into the cylinders while it is turning over. Engaging the throttle all the way in while starting cuts off this injection because it trips the anti-flood mechanism. once it starts to ignite it starts pumping fuel into the cylinders as if you were going down the street, getting it to rev up once started. It will idle just fine but it takes a little while to start and the bottom end is really weak. I can't quite figure it out.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,787 Posts
You most likely have a problem with the cold start injector system - and most likely the cold start injector time switch.

On this motor, instead of the ECU adding extra fuel while very cold/cranking, a fifth injector does the work. When this injector is on spraying fuel when it should, the motor is much harder to start, as described.

-Charlie

·
Gen 2 camry Guru
91 Camry Base
124 Posts
get teh pressure checked on your gas line you could have a problem with the pressure in the line. Generally a old or dirty fuel filter can cause this problem or worse a failing fuel pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts