Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is a bit strange...But i need to know about how hard it would be to get $1100 (or maybe more?) from a 1988 Toyota tercel.(i know it varies by car, location, and other stuff, but im just looking for a rough guess).

For the last 2months or so, i have been off and on trying to sell my car (a 1988 ford thunderbird),and not having the greatest luck. and recently i had an offer made, to trade for a toyota Tercel. I'm not a fan of the Tercel, so i dont think id want to keep it (im more looking for a vw Jetta, or honda or something), So if i were to get it...id probably resell it.

So, as mentioned, im wondering if it would be easy or hard to get $1100-ish out of it?

Oh, heres the email i got from the guy about the car (i have yet to see it, i havent responded because i dont want to get the guys hopes up, then decline the offer).

"hi i have a 1988 toyota tercel, blue in color, 4 speed, 37mpg, 2 door a few dings, 9/07 tags, good cluth new tires am/fm cassette new muffler, fresh tune up. Interior is ok a few tears in back seat, turn signal lever works, just need to push up and down manually, all lights work, ac blows cold, heater works, after market ignition works great"

thank you.

·
Registered
1986 Camry
476 Posts
Probably be easier to sell I would think, so long as the body is good.

But to sell it and get a jetta?..??..?... enjoy, ha ha ha.

BTW I've had both, and now I only have Tercels, that should tell you somthing

·
Fast Toy enthusiast 4ever
1985 Corolla GT-S
454 Posts
i think the chance of getting 1100 for a tercel isnt too high, its 19 years old after all, im saying more like 800-1000 maximum.

if you trade(d) that for the thunder bird you should have got some cash outta the trade too, because the ford is probably not worth as much as the tercel. even though it is just a crummy ford. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, heres the thing.

I bought the thunderbird 6 months ago...i traded my bronco for it.I'm 20 years old, and My bronco was my 1st car(i paid 500 for it, it wasnt a very good truck). I traded it in July for my Thunderbird (a stong runner but ugly).

I like the tbird and all, But it has a V8 and its just a gas hog....and theres nothing that can be done to customize one, really. So, i just want to get rid of it and get something that makes a better 1st car...It doesnt need to last forever, its a short term get around vehicle until i get a better job and can afford to make payments on a newer used car.

I have gotten no interest in the car (besides 1 offer of $580, 1 offer for a crappy home stereo, and one offer for the above mentioned toyota).

The toyota would probably make a good daily driver, But in my oppinion, its just too ugly to be something i want to drive(i want a decent car, but i also want it to look decent). Thats why my main car ideas, have been late 80s Jeep cherokees, VW Jettas, or Honda Preludes. But honestly, i just want a car i can be proud of, even if it doesnt look great(i was proud of my bronco, and i was porud of my Tbird at one time.).

I researched both on KBB.com, and my Tbird in its condition is quoted as being worth about $1200. I forget how much the Tercel came in at, but it was about the same.

I know my car isnt in high demand right now (its an ugly year of Tbird, and its a gas hog),thats why im thinking about trading for the tercel...But i dont want to do it, then be stuck with it because noone wants its. I keep seeing quite a few decent cars on the local craigslist for between $650 and $1300, and want to get areound that much to afford one. (because whatever i get, im stuck with, I have no money to add to it, because im having trouble finding a job).

Ok, So... With all that said, Does trading for the tercel just to resell still sound like a decent idea?hahah

·
Speed Racer
tercel
23 Posts
try and sell it for 1000 and call it a day..... it seems like a decent price for that old of a car

and you will get someone to buy it because it is a toyota and if it is in good condition, it shouldnt be hard to sell to some college kid

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

theres pictures i just got of it.

if it was a better looking hatchback (like a 80s celica/ae-86 style, id like it...But it looks too high and short...Almost like a Yugo or something).

·
Premium Member
1986 T4WD Wagon
67 Posts
Have fun with the second job for the $ to buy parts for the VW...
Tom M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts