Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used 1989 Camry. Within two days of moving into a large city it was broken into by drilling through the door directly above key lock. Somehow they managed to pop the lock and get some stuff out of my trunk and also my 15 year-old battery. Would anyone know how this could be prevented? Possibly disabling the power locks? Any info would be of help, I can't be buying batteries everytime someone walks by with a drill...I'd appreciate anyones help.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
No. drilling the locl out, or drilling where you can pull the locking mechanism works on any car as long as you know where, and how the lock works.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
yeah, buy an alarm. allthough alarms most of the time dont keep criminal out of your car, but if I had a choice to break into a car, I'd prefer the one without the alarm.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you're not feeling insecure and vulnerable yet, you should.

This happened to me as well, they drilled a small hole next to the key cylinder and unlocked the door. After they stole stuff out of my cabin and trunk, they were nice enough to lock the doors for me too.

One thing you can do is put valuables in the trunk, and disable the remote release (gen3+ it's turn the key left in the trunk's key cylinder, not sure about gen2). You can still pop the trunk with a crowbar, but it's safer than leaving stuff in the glove box.

Remember, if they want it bad enough, they'll get it -- this is just to discourage casual thievery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts