Toyota Nation Forum banner

1989 Camry Valve Cover Bolt

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  hairball 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there! So I was just in the garage reseting the valve cover gasket because it was leaking just a little, and when i was putting the valve cover back on I overtightened the bolt and broke the large skinny threaded rod coming out of the camshaft area. :facepalm: Any ideas on how to fix/where to get parts? Also i ran it a little and it seemed not to leak any oil out of the gasket so is it good to run just to get to school tomorrow? (about 5-8 min.) Thanks so much for the help!

EDIT: Forgot to add thats its the 2VZ-Fe Transverse V6 (Love that motor!)

#2 ·
I'd suggest the world famous drill and an Easy-Out. That's the only way on the planet I know how to remove broken bolts. That sucks! Valve Cover gaskets are one of the world's easiest bolts to overtighten! They only take "just under hand tight". Just go until it's snug. Besides breaking bolts, you run the risk of messing up the gastet or the valve cover.

Good Luck!

#4 ·
oh. Okay. Can you grab it with vice-grips? If so, it most likely unscrews from the head. Maybe you can get lucky enough to just remove and replace it.

#8 ·
A "thingy"? LOL! Not sure. I'm not really familiar with the stud you're talking about. But someone else might know. I don't really think NAPA is going to have it. Probably a wrecking yard or dealer only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.