Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. I just bought a 1989 corolla sr5. the things its a carb engine> i dont know much about them....still trying to learn. okay well lets just get the problem. when i go to start it cold it takes me a couple of times to start it. and when it dose it stalls, but if i keep my foot on the gas at 2k rpms for about 3mins then it just idles really low like it is about to shut off. but besides that the car drives smoothly.i was reading that I might need to adjust the choke pull off. but idk how?? i spreyed some of that choke and carb cleaner in it but it didnt really help still dose the same thing.when i do press the throttle the whatever its called dosent even move, it just stays open. so can anyone help me out here??? thanks

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
I would make sure the electric choke is actually still connected.

other than that, I don't really know much about carbs either :p:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Prior to starting it when engine is cold you should press accelerator at least twice to prime the carb with gas and the butterfly valve should then snap shut. As the engine warms up the electric choke should gradually open the butterfly valve and return the idle to normal. If the butterfly doesn't snap shut verify that the linkage isn't gummed up or disconnected. Also there is a clear plastic float gauge on side o f carb. Verify the fuel level sits in the middle. Check the numerous vacuum hoses under the hood to make sure you don't have any leaks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Prior to starting it when engine is cold you should press accelerator at least twice to prime the carb with gas and the butterfly valve should then snap shut. As the engine warms up the electric choke should gradually open the butterfly valve and return the idle to normal. If the butterfly doesn't snap shut verify that the linkage isn't gummed up or disconnected. Also there is a clear plastic float gauge on side o f carb. Verify the fuel level sits in the middle. Check the numerous vacuum hoses under the hood to make sure you don't have any leaks.

alright i will do. i usually hold down the gas peddle and try and start it, but it usually take about 4 times befor it starts,then it will stall about 3 time then finally it starts and idles high and warms up and idle fine like it should.but i will check the fluid level on the float and vacuum hoses.thanks for the help im new to the carb world :p: thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Another possibility is that the accelerator pump inside the carb needs replaced. When you press the accelerator( prior to starting) it should deliver a good shot of fuel into carb. If it is worn out it may not be performing as it should. A carb rebuild kit usually contains a new accelerator pump along with replacement gaskets. Make sure when you hit accelerator twice before starting that you leave foot off the pedal while cranking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it bad to hold down the accelerator while cranking it? bcuz that what i have been having to do to get it started.where at inside is this accelerator pump?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts