Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1989 Corolla SR5 Front End worn out. All the part, as far as tie rods, bushing, and steering rack are worn out.. need replaced..

It is really starting to shake too much to ride the freeway much..

I was thinking, if I get the parts replaced, even getting a rebuilt Steering Rack will probably be at least $500 after parts and labor..

Am I right?
thanx..

and also will need to find a shop to have the work done..

note: this car has 355,000 miles, does not smoke... is still peppy..
it has the 5 speed stick.. and a carb..

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
it's probably just an unbalanced wheel or an alignment problem. tie-rods, steering rack or bushings wouldn't really make it shake like that.

it'll probably be more than $500 to replace all that stuff

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I agree with eage. Steering components can wear but I'd check the wheels and tires first. I had a bent wheel that would start shaking only when it got to about 40-50mph.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Check the suspension bushings and see if they're worn out, no need to make conclusions before checking :cool:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
every time the car gets tires, the wheels are checked and balanced by the shop.. and like I said, it does have 355,000 miles on it....

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
every time the car gets tires, the wheels are checked and balanced by the shop.. and like I said, it does have 355,000 miles on it....
Was that recently? Anything can happen between tire changes like weights coming off or wheels getting bent. My wheel got bent sometime after I owned it. I had a coworker that had a corolla with a worn out tie rod end. It was so worn you could grab the wheel when the car was parked and just move it left to right. Even with that much wear, the car didn't vibrate or shake on the freeway. We're just trying to help you save money. If you have no problems spending the money, it definitely won't hurt to get new parts and I doubt anyone will want to stop you.

·
Registered
509 Posts

I've had, on more than a few occasions, wheels that weren't properly balanced by a shop. This can be because of operator error or a balancer that is out of calibration. To check to see if the balancer is out of calibration, have them spin the wheel, add the weights as indicated by the balancer, then remove the wheel from the balancer. Next reinstall the wheel on the balancer rotated 90º from the position it was in the first time, and recheck the balance. If it shows the balance as being out, then the machine needs to be calibrated. Many shops have no calibration schedule and only call in the service guy when they get flooded with customer complaints. A bent wheel is also something to keep an eye out for when the wheel is being spun on the balancer. Many original Toyota suspension components will last beyond 355,000 miles, depending on the environment and use they had been subjected to. Its easy enough to check ball joints, and tie rods to see if they are the problem or not. However, an out of balance tire or bent wheel is the most probable cause for shaking at highway speed.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
Check the suspension bushings and see if they're worn out, no need to make conclusions before checking :cool:
+1

I know my car's bushings are cracked and worn out. Before it goes back on the road (will be a long while) I plan to do what you are talking about. Even without the miles on it those bushings will crack and become worn out as the rubber will age (same problem with old tires that experience weather, lots of tread but the tire is still garbage).

I wouldn't go as far as changing the steering rack, I know mine is as old as your and I have beaten the hell out of it... It still seems to work perfectly. I agree with the bushing thing, and also taking the car elsewhere to have the tires checked for balance. Go from there, I personally would start with checking the tie rod ends to see what condition they are in (they are the thing that bothers me the most when it starts to go because they prevent the wheel from cranking itself in either direction, I tend to like to keep my wheels in a similar direction and avoid that whole situation :) ). From there I'd go wheel bearings (can hurt the brakes and such), then ball joints. This of course is all after checking the 21-22 year old bushings.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it appears the right front wheel bearing has worn out and has a bit of slop.. the ball sjoints are totally shot,, and the list continues.. it's all just totally worn out..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well, then it sounds like you need to replace the stuff anyways regardless of whether it's the cause of your vibration. But if it doesn't fix the problem, you'd better find it before the vibration accelerates the wear of your new parts. Come to think of it, how do you know that wasn't what caused the wear of your old parts?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Well, the front end is fixed, for now..

I had to get a new right side (passenger side) tire, inner/outer tie rod, and then I had to get a new half-axle, as this one had lost all it's grease froma broken boot..

It was about $525.00 with all the parts and labor.

I think the half-axle was original, because in my file cabintet, I have no receipts for that right-side axle..

mileagle: 365,000 miles..

1989 Toyota Corolla SR5, with carb.

I hate spending the money on this old jalopy... wish I could get a new car..

I hate front wheel drive, as the parts on front wheel drive car suck when they get old... all the crap breaks.. rear wheel drive, not so much...

my health is very very bad, and so I could no longer do that heavy work myself... I would have considered the tie rod, but the axle is to much for a person in very bad health.. I used to do all mechanical work..

pancrease disease, degenerative disc disease, dystrophy... cataracts,,, etc.. (I take tons of mophine daily too for chronic pain..).

at least now, we don't have to worry about the front end falling off,,,

it drives like new, very tight, straight and true front end.. and ride..
:thumbsup:

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
I'd have to say though, $525 isn't to bad to have something this old drive well again. It's like I keep saying to my friends. To buy another used car for a couple thousand or more would just leave me with other problems that would pop up rather than have issues I know about on a car I have had for this long. Or better yet let's go buy a new car and have some horrid recall where they have waited 10 years to tell anyone because the vehicle might be a write off because of it... or best yet, get stuck with a lemon. I'd stick with my 22 year old corolla :).

·
Registered
AE92
33 Posts
it appears the right front wheel bearing has worn out and has a bit of slop.. the ball sjoints are totally shot,, and the list continues.. it's all just totally worn out..
:headbang: I feel your pain im having the same exact problem right now..:disappoin
Nd yeah just in parts itz like a good 500...nd labor well depends on your mechanic..:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts