Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm in need of some direction here.

I have been thinking of getting a MK III Supra (after I sell my MR2) and recently found a clean '89 non-turbo one on Craigslist. I was talking to the guy who is selling it for a bit and he said that the whole car is solid, but I guess the engine threw a rod right through the oil pan and now the car needs a new engine. The transmission and clutch are in really good shape too and the car has about 120,000 miles on it.

Wouldn't seem like a bad car to swap a 7M-GTE in and call it a day.

This looks like a base model, so would have an open end differential by default? What rear end gear ratio did these run?

Is this worth picking up? What should I specifically look for in these MK III's?

Sorry, I am still learning about these Supras. Any advice is much appreciated!

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/1989-toyota-supra/6282154453.html

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,505 Posts
If you're doing 7M-GTE swap yourself and have all the tools and experience to do it, then go for it. This is A LOT of work other than just dropping engine in. You'll need new harness-wires and ECU. MAP-sensor + Kharman-vortex AFM, dash, new Intakes, exhaust plumbing.

Otherwise if you're paying shop, go with factory stock engine, 7M-GE.

These cars eat headgaskets every other day. So whichever engine you go with, plan on disassembling and rebuilding.

·
Premium Member
Supra
3,621 Posts
Yep, if you're up for it, a clean body is the hardest part to find these days. If you do want to go down this road, a second good running but rotted turbo car is a big plus as it will have all the parts you need (or almost all anyhow).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.