Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I’m new to the forum but have used your knowledge in the past to help me (thanks for that btw) and I have a problem with my emergency brake/parking brake on my 1989 Toyota Camry 2.0L automatic. I’ve replaced the brake shoes, brake drums, wheel cylinders, bled the brakes, and I just got the rear parking brake cables done as well. I’ve tried adjusting the star wheel/adjuster wheel but if I adjust it any more, the drum won’t go back on. Even after all this, I can be going down the road and yank the handbrake and at best, it’s like a gradual, painfully slow, deceleration. My 1985 Camry used to lock the back tires up when I pulled the handbrake and that’s kinda where I wanna be with my 89’. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice??? I’m totally lost on this one now

·
Toyota Collector
12,161 Posts
Is the parking brake handle adjusted correctly? Should be 5-7 clicks before the handle gets very hard to move. To auto adjust the brake shoes drive in reverse at low speed and cycle the parking brake handle a few times.

Reactions: Jaredb63

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,089 Posts
The adjuster/star wheel will work to get the hydraulic part of the system working well. As others have said, you will likely have to adjust the cable slack for the parking brake to function well. You should be able to feel it start to engage as you start to lift the handle, then 5-7 clicks until it is hard to pull farther as 71Corolla said (the spec is 40 lbs of force for 5-7 clicks, I believe).

-Charlie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my 99,I use to adjust it by removing the central console inside the cabin.There was an adjustment screw to tighten the hand brake.Did you replace both cables?
Yes I’ve replaced both rear cables and when I tighten the adjustment screw on the inside by the handle itself, the only thing that happens is the handle gets harder to pull. Not any changes to the actual amount of braking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the parking brake handle adjusted correctly? Should be 5-7 clicks before the handle gets very hard to move. To auto adjust the brake shoes drive in reverse at low speed and cycle the parking brake handle a few times.
I knew about going in reverse to adjust the brakes but I didn’t know I had to pull the handle! I thought you just had to hit the brake pedal lol. I’m definitely gonna give that a try and see what happens! Thanks a bunch man, if this works I owe you one! (Also I do have the handbrake adjusted to the 5-7 clicks and I’ve tried everything around that as well)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I’ve tried reversing and pulling the handbrake to adjust everything but still no dice. I’m at the recommended 5-7 clicks and I honestly don’t know where to go from here. Is it at all possible for the cable that attaches directly to the handle to be stretched out?? It’s the only cable I haven’t replaced but I figured if it can tighten up with the adjusting screw it wouldn’t need replacing? Any ideas guys? Right now I can be going down the road and yank the handle all the way up and it’s like an old lady is big toeing the brake pedal lol

·
Toyota Collector
12,161 Posts
Do the rear brakes lock when you stomp on the pedal? If it was me I'd convert to rear discs the only potential hard part is finding e-brake cables rest of the hardware you can source from 1988-2001 Camry, ES, also some Celica models are suitable donors.

Swapping the brake proportioning valve is recommended but not essential.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Update: I’ve tried reversing and pulling the handbrake to adjust everything but still no dice. I’m at the recommended 5-7 clicks and I honestly don’t know where to go from here. Is it at all possible for the cable that attaches directly to the handle to be stretched out?? It’s the only cable I haven’t replaced but I figured if it can tighten up with the adjusting screw it wouldn’t need replacing? Any ideas guys? Right now I can be going down the road and yank the handle all the way up and it’s like an old lady is big toeing the brake pedal lol
There's probably still too much slack in the cable. Have someone pull on the hand brake while you observe the brake shoe (only 1 will move I think), see how much it moves. You have to shorten the cable section between the shoe and the handle somehow. I thought the adjusting screw would do that but seems like it's not enough in this case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do the rear brakes lock when you stomp on the pedal? If it was me I'd convert to rear discs the only potential hard part is finding e-brake cables rest of the hardware you can source from 1988-2001 Camry, ES, also some Celica models are suitable donors.

Swapping the brake proportioning valve is recommended but not essential.
As nice as rear disc brakes sound, I don’t have the time nor the money for that right now lol. Maybe someday in the future tho!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's probably still too much slack in the cable. Have someone pull on the hand brake while you observe the brake shoe (only 1 will move I think), see how much it moves. You have to shorten the cable section between the shoe and the handle somehow. I thought the adjusting screw would do that but seems like it's not enough in this case.
Thanks man! I’ll see if there’s any way to shorten/tighten the cable going to my brake shoe and if not, I may have to go ahead and special order the front cable that links directly to the handle. I’ll keep ya posted tho

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: So it turns out that my front cable at the handle was the problem all along. Apparently it was stretched AND the mounting plate was loose so this weekend I’ll be tackling it and getting it done. Hope to be posting some sick powersliding videos here soon so thanks again everybody!! You guys are lifesavers!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Don't know where you're at but I have a brand new parking brake cable from RockAuto. I didn't realize the cables cross each other and I had bought the wrong side. Mine was for an 88LE. I assume they're all the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts