Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking for help with my LN130 1990 2LT engine with the externally regulated alternator (27020-54411). I'm looking for a replacement alternator for the engine that can fit like stock (with a vacuum pump for the booster) however if it's possible I would like to convert it to an internally regulated alternator.

My biggest questions are:

Am I able to convert it over? and if so does anybody have a quick tutorial for it? (best way to install and remove the part, which wires get connected, best way to run some of the wires things like that)

Stock amperage that came off this alternator was 60 amps (at 1200rpm, never measured at idle), if I found one that put out 77 amps would it work as well?

And lastly, If I cant convert it, does anybody know where I can find the regulator under the hood?

I have found replacements for the part number I've listed however paying over a grand for both a new alternator and the amount to replace the regulator is a bit excessive. as well I have ruled out a rebuild for the part as well as it seems that most of the rebuilders in my area wont touch it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to get back into it as soon as possible.

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
Since we don't have diesels here in the states, it may take a while for you to get a response. We do have a number of Canadian members, as well as AU and NZ who also have diesels.
You might also want to post this in the 1990 truck and even the later 96+ Hilux (mostly non-US members there) sections,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Ill try there then. I guess since the motors are the same I should've done that from the beginning.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
The other thing you can do - is find out if there are any shops in the area that specialize in rebuilding alternators and starters. Take the alternator in and find out if there are any alternators that match the mounting and case sizes. They could then possibly find you one that is internally regulated that will bolt up, along with a connector and diagram of how to wire it.

(although I didn't have to determine external vs internal regulated, I was able, for instance, to find a significantly larger amperage alternator for my old 93 landcruiser that nobody else was able to find that required very minimal modification to fit)

What's odd about this is that the supercharged MR2 used an externally regulated alternator and the N/A did not....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts