Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to this site but I'm in need of some advice. While driving on Interstate at highway speed, my Toyota died. Subsequent investigation revealed the 30 Amp Fuseable Link AM2 was blown. A replacement blew immediately when the starter was engaged. A second replacement
AM2 blew when the starter engaged again. There is an obvious short, but what all does the 30 Amp FL AM2 feed?

Thanks,
Scott K.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'd check the noise filter cap for being shorted. The only other thing in there is the coil and igniter. Start with the cap, and then check the coil. If those are both ok, I'd look for a short to ground in the ignitor box.

The circuit also goes to the EFI controller, but there should be a 15A fuse in there, and that would blow before a 30A.

hope you can find it.

·
Registered
89 Pickup 5spd.4x4
19 Posts
On the diagram I have, and a quick check, I see that the injectors are powered by this as well as the ignition coil and the igniter. Obviously there is a short before the load somewhere. Are there any other fuses blown?

I would do a visual check in the engine bay and trace the wiring going to these components to see if there is a short to ground from chafing.

Not sure of your truck specs though.

·
Registered
89 Pickup 5spd.4x4
19 Posts
For some reason, I suspect the injectors because they are controlled by the ignition switch, and do not have a constant supply for voltage. The others mentioned previous have constant supply.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. The 15 amp fuse protecting the injectors was not blowing, so I focused on the noise filter, coil and igniter. I took the three items off, started checking each with a volt/ohm meter for shorts and quickly found I didn't know what was supposed to show zero ohms and what should have resistance. Next I put each component back on the truck one at a time and checked to see if it would blow the fuse when I turned over the starter.......and it stopped blowing the 30 amp fuse link. I didn't do anything to fix it, but the truck is running again, although I'm afraid to get out of sight of my house with it. By the way, the igniter is over $550 at the dealer.

Thanks,
Scott K

·
Registered
397 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts