Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot find third party replacement struts for my 1990 Toyota Camry DLX ALL TRAC.

I have read some thoughts about a recoil kit.

Any help? PLEASE!!

Toyota OEM Part Numbers:
4853032150 Right Rear
4854032150 Left Rear

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Do you mean quickstruts? Where the struts are already assembled onto springs and you just bolt them in? Those are only available for 92-on.

I ordered all the parts (doing the fronts, will do the rears shortly) from rockauto, and had a shop replace everything on the strut assembly except for the spring. The spring is re-used. They have a dedicated jig which is much safer than doing it yourself. It cost me $50 for the shop to do it. If you're looking for a stiffer rear-end, or if you want another set of assembled struts so you can have those reconditioned then bolt on for minimal downtime, use the springs from a wagon. I pulled a rear strut set off a wagon in a scrapyard. Much better backend and allows me to use larger tires and get better clearance.

You will need:
from top to bottom
  • Strut bearing / strut mount (called two different things). This goes on the top of the strut. It is listed also as 'strut mounting hardware' on rockauto, and has one API part, a rear strut mount. The other rear strut mounts you'll find mixed with the fronts in the 'strut mount' category. Two categories, one item. Mistake on rockauto's part.
  • Strut itself, this includes new bolts (3x) for the top and the nut for the strut bearing
  • New shock mounts/strut bellows (again, called two different things and listed differently on rockauto. I think they are the same kits but someone can correct me, the sleeve (strut bellows) and the bumper (shock mounts)).
  • Coil spring insulator/coil spring seat (again called two different things on rockauto)
  • New stabilizer bars (for the rear strut replacements only)
You need two of each to do the rr and lr struts, plus the struts themselves which sometimes you see listed as a two-pack, four-pack. Whether you need cartridges or the complete strut is based on whether you have those already. You can look under the strut bellows and see, I believe, if there is a nut there or if it's a pressed-on cap. If it's pressed-on you need to replace the whole strut. If it's a nut then it's a cartridge. Some have said replace the whole thing anyway, even if you have a cartridge, but I can't see any reason for it unless the strut housing is damaged, or rusty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that the model number of the shock/strut? or the type of Celica? (please excuse my ignorance) also.. is there a Monroe or KYB part number cross?

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
The only difference I know of (I do not own an alltrac, so get someone else who does to verify this) is the weight is greater. So you're throwing more weight up and down when going over bumps, so the shock dampening might have to be higher than the 4-cyl and 6-cyl fwd models. But for instance, I used the same KYB front struts as specd on the 4-cyl on my 6-cyl. My front springs might be stiffer, because the engine/transmission pairing weighs more, and if memory serves me correctly, I took the second pair of front struts I have off a 6-cyl because of that.

Now for the rears, what I've read today is that newer, aftermarket springs take care of the 'saggy bottom' rear end that the OEM springs had issues with. That's on the 4 and 6-cyl, the whole assembly is the same because there is no additional weight in the rear. The only difference i can figure with the alltrac isn't the mounting or other hardware, but that there is more weight. So springs designed for the alltrac or the wagon should work. I'm not sure how much weight the alltrac has vs the wagon design specs. I'm going to guess if you visit a scrapyard and get rear struts off a 89-91 wagon and rebuild those using only the spring from them and otherwise all new parts, you'll have the bolt-on solution you are looking for.

Now, my original pair of rear struts is sitting in a box. I don't have a second set of wagon rears, otherwise my life would be easy in that regard. No, I may have to remove my existing rears, bring them in, wait the better part of a day for the shop to get around to rebuilding them, and then reinstall them. For now I have a bouncy back end, but unlike the situation with the OEM springs, it never rubs the tyres (bigger tyres) or looks shty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you your help John... I have located a pair of pulls from a wrecking yard... just need to get this through inspection in the State of PA...

Happy Holidays sir!!

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
8,236 Posts
The only difference I know of (I do not own an alltrac, so get someone else who does to verify this) is the weight is greater.
Alltrac rear suspension is *completely* different than the FWD Camry rear suspension. The only compatible parts are (aftermarket) replacement bushings for the trailing arms. Literally nothing else crosses over. Different strut length, spring shape/length, knuckle design, brakes, subframe, lateral links, etc.

Compatible parts can be found on the '87-'89 Celica Alltrac/4WD/GT4 and '90-'93 Celica Alltrac/4WD/GT4. I can go into more detail if necessary.

-Charlie

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
8,236 Posts
Is that the model number of the shock/strut? or the type of Celica? (please excuse my ignorance) also.. is there a Monroe or KYB part number cross?
ST165 = '87-'89 Celica Alltrac/4WD/GT4 (label depends on country)
ST185 = '90-'93 Celica Alltrac/4WD/GT4

S = engine family (3s-gte in the case of the Celica Alltrac)
T = chassis code (T = Celica, V = Camry, etc.)
16/18 = version of the chassis, higher number is newer
5 = AWD, other numbers are different chassis types (often 1 for FWD)

Your Camry is an SV25 (3s-fe engine, V chassis, 2nd version, AWD), a V6 Camry from '88-'91 is a VZV21 (2vz-fe engine, V chassis, FWD), my '99 V6 4Runner is a VZN180 (5vz-fe engine, N chassis, RWD) converted to VZN185 (5vz-fe engine, N chassis, 4WD), etc.

-Charlie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1990 Toyota Camry DLX ALL TRAC Rear Struts SOLVED!!

So I finally got smart and compared the OEM strut part numbers on the DLX non ALL TRAC with the ALL TRAC... same part number... so that means that the rear struts that Monroe has listed for the 1990 DLX will work on the ALL TRAC as well...

The OEM Part numbers are :
4853032150 Right Rear
4854032150 Left Rear

Extremely frustrating ... should have compared days ago...

Thank you all for the tips and efforts... it appears that it is not as complicated as I thought... or as many parts outlets thought either.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
8,236 Posts
So I finally got smart and compared the OEM strut part numbers on the DLX non ALL TRAC with the ALL TRAC... same part number... so that means that the rear struts that Monroe has listed for the 1990 DLX will work on the ALL TRAC as well...

The OEM Part numbers are :
4853032150 Right Rear
4854032150 Left Rear

Extremely frustrating ... should have compared days ago...

Thank you all for the tips and efforts... it appears that it is not as complicated as I thought... or as many parts outlets thought either.
Ummm...

The part number for the FWD rear struts are:
48530-32120 (right)
48540-32120 (left)

They are NOT THE SAME!!!

I have owned 2 FWD and 2 Alltrac Camrys. I have personally replaced struts both types. You will be very disapointed if you buy FWD parts for your Alltrac.

-Charlie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Product Description

Strut, RIGHT for your 1990 Toyota Camry DLX All Trac with a 2.0L L4 - Gas. We also sell REAR SUSPENSION and REAR SUSPENSION. This is a genuine OEM Toyota part #48530-32150 and carries a factory warranty. We offer wholesale pricing, fast shipping, and no-hassle returns. We are a top-rated retailer. Order from Olathe Toyota Parts Center with confidence!

Toyota OEM Parts

Genuine OEM Toyota and Scion parts offer the same legendary quality as Toyota and Scion, with exacting standards that ensure proper fitment and function. Toyota and Scion warranty their new replacement parts from defects for 12 months or 12k miles, and all remanufactured parts for 12 months and unlimited miles.

This Part Also Fits:

·
Toyota Collector
11,813 Posts
This Part Also Fits: [many links]

No it doesn't every link you posted states 4WD Camry. Either way the struts are no longer available from Toyota.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cut and paste from Toyota Parts site:

I purposely wanted to know if there was a difference in listed OEM part numbers for the rear struts on a 1990 Camry LE and DLX that were front wheel drive. When I went to the Toyota parts lookup, I listed a rear strut part number for a 1990 Camry DLX FWD... it came back with the same parts diagram and the same part number as the strut for the ALL TRAC.

This simply confirmed what I was finding in my parts search for the ALL TRAC. I can find struts listed for the FWD DLX but not the ALL TRAC. I was wondering what the difference would be between the two cars.... and as it turns out, there is no difference according to the OEM parts finder search engine. That tells me that a strut listed as a suitable replacement for a FWD Camry will work in an ALL TRAC too...

Flawed logic? What say you?

Link to toyota: http://parts.olathetoyota.com/toyota/camry/4853032150/1991-year/le-trim/2-5l-v6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat/?part_name=strut

·
Toyota Collector
11,813 Posts
You can go ahead and buy the FWD struts but this will happen -
I have owned 2 FWD and 2 Alltrac Camrys. I have personally replaced struts both types. You will be very disappointed if you buy FWD parts for your Alltrac.

-Charlie

·
Registered
742 Posts
Do not buy FWD REAR struts for your alltrac. They won't fit. The alltrac struts are shorter to clear the axle.

If I could have fit fwd Camry struts I would have.

I'll look up the parts number in the Toyota computer later if that will convince you

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
8,236 Posts
I purposely wanted to know if there was a difference in listed OEM part numbers for the rear struts on a 1990 Camry LE and DLX that were front wheel drive. When I went to the Toyota parts lookup, I listed a rear strut part number for a 1990 Camry DLX FWD... it came back with the same parts diagram and the same part number as the strut for the ALL TRAC.

This simply confirmed what I was finding in my parts search for the ALL TRAC. I can find struts listed for the FWD DLX but not the ALL TRAC. I was wondering what the difference would be between the two cars.... and as it turns out, there is no difference according to the OEM parts finder search engine. That tells me that a strut listed as a suitable replacement for a FWD Camry will work in an ALL TRAC too...

Flawed logic? What say you?

Link to toyota: http://parts.olathetoyota.com/toyota/camry/4853032150/1991-year/le-trim/2-5l-v6-gas-engine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat/?part_name=strut
The OEM part numbers are different. Not sure why, but that particular PN look up has wrong (or, at the very least, confusing) information.

I have personally held both types in my hands. The Alltrac (rear) struts have a different length, lower mounting points, brake line mounting points, spring seat, etc.

-Charlie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
9 Participants
TheFlyingDutchman
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing