Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
LewdSage
89 Camry AllTrac DLX
5 Posts
I have a stock alltrac 89, and I want to lower it. From what I can tell the stock shocks for the Celica and Camry are the same, so could i just buy a coilover conversion kit for the Celica and use it on oem alltrac Camry struts?

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
I have a stock alltrac 89, and I want to lower it. From what I can tell the stock shocks for the Celica and Camry are the same, so could i just buy a coilover conversion kit for the Celica and use it on oem alltrac Camry struts?
Yes, coilover conversion kits are fairly generic. They replace just springs on your struts. The attachment points to spindle remains specific for your model car because you're re-using the same struts.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/celica-conversion

Notice that they all look the same? The only difference is diameter of sleeve, spring-rate and top-hat dimensions. You'll want to contact them about spring-rates that would best fit your All-trac. They even offer a service now where you send in your old struts and they convert them to coilovers using Koni's double-adjustable inserts (both rebound & compression damping is adjustable independently). This is better than 99.999% of coilovers on market except for Ohlins or Penske!!!

·
Registered
88 Camry Alltrac
738 Posts
I've got the Ground Control coilover conversion kit. I'm not especially impressed, but it does work, and (from talking to other people) it seems like maybe I got a bum set.

• IIRC there are some minor differences between the upper part of the shock shaft (Celica Alltrac <-> Camry Alltrac). I had to modify the upper spring perches that came with the kit.
  • If you're using 2.5" springs you will want an upper spring perch for the rear.
  • If you want to do it well you'll want to cut off the stock spring perches and weld on retaining rings for the new sleeves.
Don't forget that the rear shocks are NLA - so you are going to need to figure something out eventually. Unless you're planning on converting to insert cartridges I'd recommend you think about this now. You don't want to sink $$ into a coilover kit and then get stuck with blown shocks.

The struts for the Camry All-Trac are discontinued, but the ones for Celica All-Trac’s aren’t?
FYI, as far as I know all OE replacement rear All-Trac struts are discontinued. You can buy various coilovers from the usual suspects, but not any big names.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts