Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 Camry DX 4cyl 2liter?

Hi,
I am hoping you can help me because you have the same car and I've been reading a lot of your posts trying to fix my car. Right now, my biggest problem is: no check engine light with key on. I've been getting it to start by sticking my hand up in the interior fuse box by driver kick panel and wiggling wires til CEL came on then it would start.

Then, a couple of days ago, that stopped working. I found a bladed wire had come lose out of its socket, it's white with red stripe. All my fuses are good and there's power to all except a 7.5A fuse labeled in a diagram I saw "Charging&Emmission Control System"(Not the Guage or Turn Signal or Radio Fuse).

Does the white/red wire power this fuse and cause CEL to come back on? Also, someone told me this fuse is also called the IGN fuse? I'm not sure what it does or where it goes back to. It's so tight in that space, I can't get up in the fuse box to try to fix.
My question is do you know how I can take the lower dash panel off under the steering wheel so I can get to the fuse box? Also, the kinda thick white wire with red stripe is bundled with 2 other kinda thick white wires hanging just above the 2 silver round relays, 1 is the taillight relay. I've attached a pic. I am a female that does not work on cars but no money to have fixed and live 30 miles outside town stranded. I don't know how to get your message if you respond so my email is [email protected] please help, thanks so much! Kristi

Attachments

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,568 Posts
First, the easy part, removing the lower dash...

Tools needed: Philips screwdriver, flat blade screwdriver, 10mm deep socket with short extension and ratchet.

- Remove lower trim panel (two philips screws, then tug down and toward you) Looks to be off already in your photo
- Remove lower dash trim covers:
- Right side switch panel, pry out on top or bottom with screwdriver
- Left side switch panel, put two fingers on the top of the coin tray and pull out just the coin tray (leave switch panel in place)
- Speaker grill. Push flat screwdriver straight in at the top center as far as it will go, then pry cover off. It will be difficult and may break. Hopfully the metal clip will pop off the panel, retrieve it and reinstall on speaker cover after bending back the 'fangs' for easier removal later
- Remove 10mm bolts (7 locations)
- Pull panel toward you and unplug electrical connections and lower dash AC vent hose
- Remove driver's speaker box (two philips screws and one electrical plug - use flat screwdriver to help on electrical plug, it comes out sideways from the way it looks like it does)
That White-Red wire is VERY important to the running of the car. It should go to the same connector as the two white wires it is bundles with (pin 2, but actually one of the 'end' pins) that runs into the fuse/distribution panel in the the footwell there. You should be able to unplug the connector and re-insert the wire.

Take a good picture up in there for us after you get there so we can make sure nothing else is out of place.

-Charlie

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks so much! I can't get the left side to pull out, the right side seems ready. Can you tell me locations of the 7- 10mm bolts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Feels like left switch panel has another bolt. That little change thing looks like it's built in to the left switch panel. Thanks!
I can help with the easy stuffs. So you probably got 6 of the 7 bolts out but here are the pictures of the other 6 besides the speaker one. Like Charlie said, pull the coin slot out, you'll get to the bolt above the speaker. To get the bolt on the other side (if you haven't got it out) you can pry the switch panels off but I found it much easier just to push them out from behind. The panel on the right where the bolt is is a little trickier to get to because there's a metal bracket blocking it. Just curve your finger around the bracket and push it, the panel should come out easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmm, the switch panels on your car looks different from mine. I didn't realize you already got it out, so never mind about that part.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi:)
Thanks!
So your saying I can reach behind the dash and push out left switch panel(the coin holder is not removable from the left switch panel-built in) and there's a bolt behind it?

Do you have a pic of what's behind your left speaker cover? If you look at my speaker (cover off) there is a non-standard big round bolt with a nut on the back of it that has 2" horizontal clearance that I can't get out, I would need a dipped mini wrench and have to use those little holes to maneuver the little wrench around to try and get it out. CUT my finger up:( Do you have 2 bolts behind your speaker cover too?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks TheFlyingDutchman, your very kind for the diagram, helps tons😚
I seem to be missing that bolt behind the left driver' s side switch panel but I don't see a bolt to get there from the open hole on right (coins). The middle part of that panel doesn't pop out. The lower dash won't come out. The only bolt left is the strange one in the upper right hand corner of the speaker cover frame (cover off).

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Charlie for the step by step, I was able to get most off and your instructions worked perfectly😙 I did get frustrated with that 2nd bolt under the speaker cover. Said curse words hadn't said in years...lol. Then went and got multi-took in the pouring rain...was gonna cut the bolt in two...haha...didn't work out...Thanks all for ya'lls support, guess I'll try again tomm

·
Registered
88 Camry Alltrac
784 Posts
Holy crap put down the multi tool. If I remember correctly last time I did it I pulled out the little panel above the speaker (e.g. not just the coin tray) - have you shined a flashlight in there to look for the bolt?
Ignore the thing on the speaker, that's not it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I shined a flashlight all the way through the open slot on the right hand side of the lower left switch panel(anyone have a pic of this coin tray btw?) on the driver side. All I see is the white painted far wall of the Camry (other side of f engine firewall and there is a bolt there but that would take an awful long extension😆

How do you pop that left panel out?

After I get this dash out, will it be easier to see/out white/red wire back in?

What fuses does that wire power?

Will it turn CEL(Guage fuse) back on? Thanks for your help and support!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Ignore the thing on the speaker, that's not it."

Wish I'd known that 4 hours ago😛 bef I got multi-tool...haha

·
Registered
16 Posts
"Ignore the thing on the speaker, that's not it."

Wish I'd known that 4 hours ago😛 bef I got multi-tool...haha
Yeah ignore that thing. It'll come out with the dash. You won't see the bolt through that blank switch next to the coin slot, it's behind the coin slot like in my previous pics. Just pull the whole thing out, it's easier now since you have that blank switch panel removed. It's held in place by 4 little notches, 2 on each side (see new pics) Once you get that last bolt, the dash will still be connected to the vent hose just under the steering column. I normally just put the whole dash aside without removing the hose. Charlie mentioned about removing electrical connections, there is none in my car (different model from yours) I also have a picture of my white / white / white-red bundle. The white-red wire together with the 2 white wires it shared the connector with seems to supply power to the ignition switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much, babyuncle, I'll get that panel out Tom then!

You said "since you have that blank switch panel removed". Didn't know it was blank switch panel (son already tried to take this lower dash out last year) and the coin slot next to it doesn't pop out of the panel(that I know of) so was focusing on that bolt on the speaker frame as the 7th bolt. Sorry, ya'll, I am not mechanically inclined 🤗 so thanks for your patience. God bless you Angels👼👼👼

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,568 Posts
the coin slot next to it doesn't pop out of the panel
Oh, it does - and it is very easy with the right technique:

Palm up, pointer and middle finger into coin slot. Place them on the TOP of the hole, pull towards you. The coin slot will basically fall right out. To be incredibly vulgar, go for the g-spot on the coin slot. After that, the switch panel is easy to remove, or you can access that last bolt directly through the coin slot opening.

-Charlie

edit: If that description doesn't work, I can take a picture of the process tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, going back to try and get dash off again. Wish the rain would let up but I am determined to get that d#/^/#! wire in. When I couldn't get dash off last night, I crawled up in the fuse box again to try and see where the 2 white wires were going so I could figure out where the white/red one plugs in(see best pic I could get). Please, please tell me where to plug the wire in and whether the blade goes in vertically or horizontally cause I don't think I can disconnect that harness that these wires plug into. It's buried under other wires and not sure even with dash off that's going to be possible for me. Anyone have a picture of the connector(I think it's black) and pin numbers, insertion spots, any empty pins (so I know not to plug in there. I've seen pics on here where a person can put a red circle on a picture to tell someone where to put something. Can anyone do that with my picture, I don't know how. Thanks everybody for your help:) And Charlie, you and others are scaring me saying this is the "easy" part, lol, whelp off to find the "G" spot....hahaha

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yayyy, Got dash out, hood release latch out, white w red stripe in, CEL came back on! Tried to start it, cranked over but no start like bef this repair BUT CEL on now. My neighbor, Nick(a top-drawer mechanic) said there is spark and suggested it may be out of gas. The gas guage has been wrong bef. Plz help, any other suggestions, thoughts? The 15a EFI fuse and EFI Main Relay are /ood under hood. Stranded in Al;) HELP, CLUES, SUGGESTIONS? LOVE YOU, THANKS SO MUCH!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts