Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-
My friend has a Camry I'm trying to troubleshoot. She was driving it , engine warm, stopped at a red light, engine died, starter goes but engine will not catch.
Here's what I know....
Yes, we have gas :>
Car seems to have power, lights and radio work fine, lights are still strong when we attempt to start car.
Starter sounds good.
Don't know if we have spark or not, but I would think that if the plugs were going out we would have had an intermittent problem before the whole thing gave out.

Any thoughts?

·
Not so Noob now!
564 Posts
Timing belt probably broke.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
hey hey, my car did the same thing driving down the interstate yesterday!

sounds fine when you try and start it, but it wont start up.

For me im thinking its the fuel pump, or possibly the timing. Check the timing belt and all that good stuff, find out wether its getting spark or not.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
Stevethecleric said:
hey hey, my car did the same thing driving down the interstate yesterday!

sounds fine when you try and start it, but it wont start up.

For me im thinking its the fuel pump, or possibly the timing. Check the timing belt and all that good stuff, find out wether its getting spark or not.
its not the fuel pump i dont think, he said it was getting gas...maybe im wrong tho, should probably check it anyway. i used to do it in my contour by standing at the rear of the car (where the fuel pump was) and having a friend turn the key to the "on" position (dont turn the car over).

if you hear a buzz from the pump for a second, then the pump is working.

the other things to check (i would start here):

Igintion coil.

i would bet thats what it is. it probably isnt the timing belt if it died on deceleration. those usually break when you are accelerating.

ignition coils just sometimes die, they get old, and often times give no warning before they go.

then check the belt.

then check the fuel pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts