Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in a new clutch at 206,000 miles. Shortly after that the transaxle stopped working. I believe it is the cable that pushes in and pulls out when you switch between 1st and second that does not work right. Anybody have any ideas? My service manual has the wrong transaxle in it. Not sure how to disassemble.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,789 Posts
If the shift cables fail (it has happened to me), they often fray near where they join with the transmission. You can feel the poor action in the shifter. Have a helper move the gear shifter around the gears and watch for a problem where the shift cables attach to the transmission (top, rear under the intake tube to the engine).

Also, it would help if you better described what "stopped working" means. Details, details, details!!!

-Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm new, and I wasn't even sure that anyone would respond. Thanks for getting back to me. the shift cables are fine. The problem is in the mechanism that moves the shaft in and out, not the one that switches the three postitions. In other words, while in the car, the tranny shifts fine from left to center to right, but the other action, forward and backward, is not moving enough. This prevents it from ever getting in to any gear. I heard a kind of a bang as I tried to pull away from a traffic light. I am thinking that I am going to have to pull the tranny apart to get in to see what broke.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for your help, I figured it out. The guy at the auto store didn't have GL-5 oil and talked me into regular gear oil. The tranny froze up, but I managed to get it back working again. This time I bought GL-5 from another store.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts