Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new here. Been reading quite a bit over the years but have never posted. I'm a pretty good amateur mechanic, but am no certified mech by any means.

I've got a 1990 Camry, with a V6 2.5l engine. I'm attempting to change out the spark plugs and distributor and get her back on the road. I've run into a problem though, I can't access the back 3 spark plugs of the engine. What's the least amount of things I'm going to have to unbolt and take off just for access to that back side? I've attached a picture w some red arrows highlighting the area I have to work beneath. Any help / Experience / Tips & Tricks are extremely welcome and thanked.

Attachments

·
chrome won't get you home
2012 Corolla
2,514 Posts
Paging @Phil_Bleach I believe he's done it without dismantling anything.

Sure! I'm surprised you ask though, do you remove the intake to do yours?

I do plugs 5 and 3 from the driver side, plug 1 from the passenger side. I shove my arm in between the engine and the firewall, disconnect the plug wire, take a spark plug socket with a (I believe) 4'' extension, insert in the hole, take my ratchet, connect it to the extension, unscrew the plug, remove the ratchet from the extension, pull the extension out with the plug still in the socket.

To reinstall: new plug in the socket, socket on extension, extension in your hand, you shove your arm in there, find the hole, screw the spark plug in using only YOUR FINGERS, then you use the ratchet to tighten it a little more. Normally torque would be 13-15 ft/lbs IIRC but there's no space for a torque wrench... be gentle, you don't need a torque wrench only common sense. Then reconnect the wire. Voilà. Next plug.

First time I think it took me over an hour. Now I can do all 6 in 30 minutes and I'm not even rushing.

·
Registered
Civic Hatch
2,791 Posts
I have also done the ignition tuneup with the plenum on. Same as Phil, youll wedge your arm real good, being cautious of any old plastic engine components. But i found it was easier than removing the plenum (especially for a first timer).

The distributor cap is a bit harder, but even with the plenum off there isnt much room due to the heater hoses.

just take your time and be patient haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.