Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
toyota celica
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a 1990 celica gt for 300 bucks, it has 238k miles on it and im interested in doing an engine overhaul i know a fair bit about the car, i bought the chiltons manual for it. it has a 2.2 4 afe engine, 3 speed with overdrive. any imput on what type of pocket damage im gonna be taking for this thing would be cool.

·
The Original Mofo
91 4Runner SR5
575 Posts
4afe? don't you mean 5sfe?

the 4afe is a 1.6 which was only available on the ST

the 5sfe is a 2.2 which was only available on the GT/GTS

I personally don't know what it'd cost you, but it'd depend on the shape of the engine obviously, is it running for one? is there any damage to it? etc etc

·
Registered
toyota celica
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
engine runs great, car starts like a top. the only issues so far that i've noticed is that the the gasket around the water pump is bad, i do not think this engine was properly maintained. however as the water pump is bad and when i checked the spark plugs 2 of the four spark plugs were covered in oil and burnt. so this leads me to believe that the gaskets need to be done. i just bought the chiltons manual for this thing so im kinda starting to get a feel for it. i am not sure just yet if i want to put a turbo on so any input in that area would be great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.