Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the oil seal and the oil pump gasket, and no my car runs really bad. It seems like the timing is off, but I have checked it like 5 times. The notch on the crankshat lines up with the oil pump at TDC, and the notch on the camshaft gear lines up with the notch on the camshaft case. I did not mess with anything else. Before doing the work the car ran fine.

What could be the issue? Timing? If it is I don't know where I went wrong.

Thanks for you help,
Luckybob

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Umm.. thats not the timing, thats just to check to see if all the parts are running on the correct spot together. Timing is checked with a timinglight and its the relationship between ignition and crankshaft angle. Should be 5degrees BTDC without vacuum advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I went ahead and advanced the distributer and got it running like normal. The only problem is the distributer has a small amout of movement from the mounting. I removed the bolt and turned it clockwise about 10 degrees past the furthest I could move it. Which direction do I need to adjust the timing belt to get it in the area of the mount on the distributer?

Luckybob

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
No you dont turn the belt.. you can do some play with the distributor itself... but I'm not gonna be held responsible :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is only a small amount of play from the distributer because of the mount. If I remove the bolt and turn is clockwise a bit it runs fine. I need to move the timing belt a few notches in the right direction so that I can adjust the distributer in the given range it has. I need to know which way to adjust the timing belt, a few notches clockwise or counter-clockwise.

I am not overly concerned about the car as I plan on buying a new Corolla next month.

Luckybob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts