Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 1.5L 3EZ carberated tercel and it wont hold a charge. Replaced battery and terminals batt./ cables in good cond. alternator works i also replaced the fan belt and adjusted to proper tension still no charge. Any one have an idea or suggestion?

·
Registered
18 Posts
You may have a heck of a time with that one, generally means there's something grounding out in the electrical system...

Theres one thing you can do, pull all of the fuses not needed to run the basic car (cigarette lighter, radio, wipers if it's not raining) etc and see if the battery stops draining.

You may get lucky, you may not. Generally you'll have one part of your electrical that's not grounded properly or is shorting out...

Good luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have you checked for any kind of parasitic current drain? also you may want to check for AC current at the battery. Just a thought.....you said the alternator works, how did you determine that?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked for blown fuses and found one and replaced it but didnt solve problem also the radio hasn't worked for a while and ciggarrette lighter shorted out on original owner. I know the alternator works because i took it out and had it tested.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've had some mixed experiences at different auto parts stores when it came to bench testing an alternator that i suspected was bad. I had one that, when put under a load, would'nt put out anymore than 12.5-12.8v. The guy at the auto parts place said he tested it and it showed 13.8v BUT it was'nt under a load. So i did some other testing and the voltage regulator was bad AND it was putting out AC as well as DC(had 2 shorted diodes). I have become very cautious of having other people test my electrical components and tell me something that they really know nothing about. IMO it sounds like a severe current drain....somewhere. I would start with the radio and the cigarette lighter(they just dont short out at their convience).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea jeffs you're right about the testing of it i thought about that but not to much because of the short in the radio. If i want to test the alternator again can the stores like kragen and autozone test it under a load? also my dome light bulb is missing but i am pretty sure that it works and lights and turnsignals as well as other accessories work and another plus is the tercel doesn't have power windows ,mirrors, or locks so that helps narrow it down but i am very tight on cash and am confused on whether to replace alternator or possibly go wire by wire but i need to fix it

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i double checked on a hunch and had the alternator tested again and it is putting out a whopping 2.3 amps so im gonna go get the alternator and replace it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can check an alternator without having to take it to a autoparts store. Start up the vehicle and turn EVERYTHING on and check the voltage at the battery, should be between 13.6 and 14.4v. You can also check for AC voltage at the battery and it should be less than .5v regardless of the load or number of accessories that you have on, this checks the diodes to see if they're work'n. Hope this helps ya out. BTW, a good alternator should be putting out between 60-70 amps. (its rated output)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts