Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im sorry i keep asking questions but i havent gotten a clear answer on this one. i have a 1990 camry i dont know what engine it has but its a DX model. i want to know what engine would be a direct bolt up if i needed to swap. second question is what engine do i most likely have and do u think it could handle 5 pounds of boost stock? just looking at my options for a swap or if my engine went out i wanna see what would be best to replace with the same engine or get somethng easy not really looking for power gains.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,375 Posts
I'm going to assume you have the 4-cylinder, which is a 3s-fe engine. Also going to assume you have an automatic transmission.

The easiest swap: 5s-fe (from a Celica, make sure it is a distributor version) - direct bolt-up, no modifications (not even wiring). 10-20 more horsepower
Turbocharging: Using the exhaust manifold and turbo from a 90-95 MR2 turbo/Celica Alltrac, you can run ~7lbs of boost which is the stock wastegate pressure on those turbos. You'll need oil lines, intake/exhaust work, intercooler (would be nice, maybe not 100% necessary if you water/meth injection or similar) and you'll probably want some way to tune it (a piggyback would work).

Most other engine swap options get much more difficult from there - you'll need a manual transmission for a 3s-gte, wiring, etc.

-Charlie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to assume you have the 4-cylinder, which is a 3s-fe engine. Also going to assume you have an automatic transmission.

The easiest swap: 5s-fe (from a Celica, make sure it is a distributor version) - direct bolt-up, no modifications (not even wiring). 10-20 more horsepower
Turbocharging: Using the exhaust manifold and turbo from a 90-95 MR2 turbo/Celica Alltrac, you can run ~7lbs of boost which is the stock wastegate pressure on those turbos. You'll need oil lines, intake/exhaust work, intercooler (would be nice, maybe not 100% necessary if you water/meth injection or similar) and you'll probably want some way to tune it (a piggyback would work).

Most other engine swap options get much more difficult from there - you'll need a manual transmission for a 3s-gte, wiring, etc.

-Charlie
i actually have the manual trans on mines but i see

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,375 Posts
the 3s-fe engine can use that boost set up your talking about ?
Sure, the manifold bolts on if you get the 2nd generation 3s-gte manifold. Make sure your engine is in good shape - it will wear out faster if you turbo it... and it will require more maintenance - but that's what you get for increasing horsepower.

Since you are starting with a manual transmission, 3s-gte swaps are also easier...

Just remember that speed costs money.

-Charlie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure, the manifold bolts on if you get the 2nd generation 3s-gte manifold. Make sure your engine is in good shape - it will wear out faster if you turbo it... and it will require more maintenance - but that's what you get for increasing horsepower.

Since you are starting with a manual transmission, 3s-gte swaps are also easier...

Just remember that speed costs money.

-Charlie
i looked up a spare stock engine and it was around 500 shipping incuded i was thinking get it rebuild it with good seals and swappin g it in and turboing it out just enough feel a bit of gains and also for pops and bangs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts