Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning guys.

I'm looking at a 1990 GTS in a few hours for a winter car. it has 180k on the clock and the guy says its in great condition.

a few questions I have:

What are some major points I should look maintnence wise? What normally goes wrong with these cars?

How much should I look at paying, what's the car worth?

What engine will the car have? I don't know too much about these Toyotas.

What is the difference between a GTS and a Non-GTS Corolla?

What size speakers? 4" ?

I have been into toyotas for quite a while, I have an 89 Supra that I've rebuilt the engine on twice, but as I mentioned, a rear wheel drive turbo charged car doesn't make the best winter car.

As I think of more questions, I'll just edit the thread.

Thanks guys.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
-Rotors, usually the rotors seize when they're getting older, oil consumption also, specially on the 90s as it seems mine it's starting to either drop it or burn it slowly. Oil cooler lines seem to eventually start to leak slowly.

-depends on condition, if it's got 180k miles, I would say probably about $1200-1500 or less if it's in not so great of shape.

-Smallport Redtop 4AGE (130hp) If it's a 1990 (Easy to tell, only the 90-91 coupes have 2 round driving lights on the bumpers which look like fog lights)

-Motors (the SR5 coupe came with the 4AF or 4AFE after 1990), the GTS have sportier interior, painted bumpers and of course sideskirts. Suspension was also a big diff as the GTS has sway bars.

-4" on the front, 5.25 on the rear. The rears are a tricky to replace as the speaker covers are actually mounted to the speaker, if you replace the speakers and put the new covers on them, you'll have somewhat of a gap left in between the speakers and the back panel.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
REN69 said:
-Rotors, usually the rotors seize when they're getting older, oil consumption also, specially on the 90s as it seems mine it's starting to either drop it or burn it slowly. Oil cooler lines seem to eventually start to leak slowly.

-depends on condition, if it's got 180k miles, I would say probably about $1200-1500 or less if it's in not so great of shape.

-Smallport Redtop 4AGE (130hp) If it's a 1990 (Easy to tell, only the 90-91 coupes have 2 round driving lights on the bumpers which look like fog lights)

-Motors (the SR5 coupe came with the 4AF or 4AFE after 1990), the GTS have sportier interior, painted bumpers and of course sideskirts. Suspension was also a big diff as the GTS has sway bars.

-4" on the front, 5.25 on the rear. The rears are a tricky to replace as the speaker covers are actually mounted to the speaker, if you replace the speakers and put the new covers on them, you'll have somewhat of a gap left in between the speakers and the back panel.

Hope that helps. :)
the fog lights are canada only..... so, him being in Spokane won't help with that identification....

the easiest way to check is just look at the date code.... usually if it's after the middle of 1989 then it's a 1990 car......

the interior really isn't that different.... seats are considered "sportier" but the sr5 seats hold you in tight enough and IMO are more comfortable....

the non gts 2 doors don't have sideskirts or rear disc brakes and a few other goodies...... it's generally a better idea to buy a GTS....

and i hate to tell ya.... there's a good chance you'll enjoy the gts for things like auto-x much better than your supra....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
toyotaspeed90 said:
the fog lights are canada only..... so, him being in Spokane won't help with that identification....

the easiest way to check is just look at the date code.... usually if it's after the middle of 1989 then it's a 1990 car......

the interior really isn't that different.... seats are considered "sportier" but the sr5 seats hold you in tight enough and IMO are more comfortable....

the non gts 2 doors don't have sideskirts or rear disc brakes and a few other goodies...... it's generally a better idea to buy a GTS....

and i hate to tell ya.... there's a good chance you'll enjoy the gts for things like auto-x much better than your supra....
Thanks for the input guys.

This si definatly a GTS, I'm not concerned about that, unless someone went through great lengths to fool me... it says GTS on the side like i've seen before :) I just mainly wanted to know what the GTS 'package' had opposed to the non-gts

You both have mentioned SR5... can you define that for me please?

heh, I'm not much into auto-x, i'm more of a straight line type of guy. I want this for winter driving, and while the supra is down for more mods :)

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
"and while tghe supra is down for more mods".... and for blown headgaskets :)

the sr5 was the coupe model that aesthetically looked similar to the gt-s, but didn't have the sports stuff along with it (ie, no rear discs, no sideskirts, no spoiler, a 4afe instead of 4age, less 'tuned' suspension)

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Here's an easier way...

88-89 GTS - Bigport 4AGE (TVIS)

90-91 GTS - Smallport 4AGE (no TVIS)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Justin89T said:
good morning guys.

I'm looking at a 1990 GTS in a few hours for a winter car. it has 180k on the clock and the guy says its in great condition.

a few questions I have:

What are some major points I should look maintnence wise? What normally goes wrong with these cars? Make sure its not rusted through. Check the oil for color and consistency, check for oil leaks, see how much carbon is being blown out the tailpipe, check for holes in the floorboard. look at the tires and see if they are worn evenly.

How much should I look at paying, what's the car worth? In perfect condition you are looking at only about $1200-$1300. On average you should be able to pick one up for $1000.

What engine will the car have? I don't know too much about these Toyotas. What is the difference between a GTS and a Non-GTS Corolla? The GTS has a fuel injected 1.6 engine 4age, the SR5 is not fuel injected and has a 4afe engine. The GTS has a much stronger block, crank, pistons etc....better suspension, seats and its an overall better car.

What size speakers? 4" ? I wouldnt be concerned about speakers at this point. I would be more concerned about making sure the car runs properly.

I have been into toyotas for quite a while, I have an 89 Supra that I've rebuilt the engine on twice, but as I mentioned, a rear wheel drive turbo charged car doesn't make the best winter car. Yes, a front wheel drive works very nicely in the snow.

As I think of more questions, I'll just edit the thread.

Thanks guys.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
in perfect condition here your looking at more that 1200 - 1500 for an sr5 let alone a 1990 gts with rust... Remember the 90 and 91 is more desierable than the earlier ones as it has alot more hp.

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,501 Posts
Justin- The ae92 will make for a great reliable Winter car.. its still low to the ground, but a good set of tires will fix that..

The GT-S came factory with 4 wheel Disk brakes,Swaybars,Strut tower bar,oil cooler & some added gauges like oil pressure & volts (not sure if SR5 came with this or not, but nice features nonetheless) exterior, most if not all came factory with a sunroof (which is a common place for rust & leaks, but since you driving in winter this may not be an issue) also like previosly mentioned the GT-S came with sideskirts & a rear spoiler... Last but not least the biggest feature is the 4ag motor under the hood !!!

my car currently has 205,xxx miles on her & still runs like a champ... However, in my time, ive gone through 3 alternators(in 5 years) But i wouldnt worry about that because i have a system in my trunk... Also what i think Ren was getting at is the Calipers Stick in the rear (e brake will stick) ive had to replace one of the calipers in the rear because of this... Last year my E brake cable Broke on me so now i have no e brake, My e brake was abused to that point however( again most of the stuff that went wrong with the car ive asked for or broke it , because i replaced with aftermarket stuff... The Ae92 is a very reliable car & will last you along time if you treat it well (However) the ae92 is an old car & you will Pay for whatever abuse you give out... (like every used car)

the 4ag is also a great motor, ive autoX mine at 205xxx & most the guys at our events think im crazzy But these motors will take alot of abuse..

I could keep preachen about how i love my GT-S but i think you get the idea
Hope you get the car !
~Dan

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
for a wintercar I would say... sr5. Cheaper. And less power is nicer for the winter. The gts and sr5 hieght isn't a problem for winter in these cars, at least not what I've found driving through deep snow.

Not sure about other people's ae92 but mine gets understeer really easy when the roads get slippery :p

·
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
I never cleaned.. still looks the same... both of them. :)

G

·
0 Posts
lol, i assumed they were the same car just swapped motor, guess i should of looked at your sig ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts