Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: I have a very mysterious leak. I changed out the P/S pump, and that took a 1 pint/day leak down to a 1 pint/3-4 day habit my truck has aquired. I can't tell where it's coming from, and I get a small puddle, but it seems like it's eating it (the P/S fluid). Can it get in the engine somehow? When I cold start it I get a lot of smoke, but I'm not loosing any engine oil!?!? Is the P/S tied in with the brakes? When the P/S fluid is low, I get a whine in the pump when I depress the brake. The manual I got says nothing about any of this. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
One thing you might try after you clean the area real good is to get you a can of jock itch spray (I use Cruex) and spray some around the hoses and such. The spray goes on as a white powder. After starting the engine and turning the wheel lock to lock a few times, look at the area you sprayed. If you see the white spray powder turning dark, you've just found your leak.

You may even have a split in one of the hoses.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It might be going into the engine from a ruptured vacuum switch (the one with 2 hoses on it that screws into the pump).
Try replacing the switch or at least disconnect the hoses and plug them temporarily.
This is the switch that will open under high pressure demand such as that when you turn the wheel to the left or right all the way to the lock position. This switch will open allowing manifold vacuum to be bypassed back into the engine thus speeding up the RPM's so the engine won't stall out.
Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts