Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I own a 1991 (GEN2) Toyota Camry V6 LE (91,000 mi. first-hand) and I'm a relative newbie at this car stuff. Well, I wanted to upgrade the audio system in it and so far I've been able to do the following things:
Change the rear speakers (Piece of cake)
Change the front speakers (Man, these are a bitch to get to...)
...well the thing with the front speakers was that I thought they were 4" so i bought 4" speakers... but they aren't, they're 3.5"... so I took out the passive radiator and put the 4" speaker in that slot, but I guess it wasn't such a great idea so i'm thinking I should either get new 3.5's or try to custom fit the 4" and put the radiators back in. or have both 3.5's AND 4's running (possible??). What do ya think? Good idea? Bad idea?

And another question for those experienced with GEN2 Camry's, what would be the best way to run wires from the dash/battery to the trunk for amp installation. I'm planning on running the RCA and speaker wire through the passenger side and the power wire through the driver side. The thing is, I have no idea on how to do this and I don't want to have to tear apart my car to figure it out. So, what's the easiest way to run the wires? Oh, and how do I get wire from the battery through the firewall (how am I possibly supposed to get access to the firewall?) and into the car?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just hooked up the + to the battery zip tied the wire to the throttle cable. I had to punch a hole through the steering boot under the dash.( you might need two people to get the wire through the boot). then just ran it through the moldings that are on the bottom of the coor jams, and under the back seat! It wasnt that hard.

·
Grenaded piston
6,528 Posts
drunknmaster28 said:
i'm thinking I should either get new 3.5's or try to custom fit the 4" and put the radiators back in. or have both 3.5's AND 4's running (possible??). What do ya think? Good idea? Bad idea?
Easiest option is to buy 3.5" speakers.

IMO the location of the front speakers suck. I built panels for mine that replace the map pocket on the door.

And another question for those experienced with GEN2 Camry's, what would be the best way to run wires from the dash/battery to the trunk for amp installation.
Run it along the sides of the floor.

At the bottom of the door jam is a plastic piece that screws in. Remove that piece, fold the carpet back and run your wires.

The plastic pieces on the B pillar need to be removed. Becareful with the upper piece, it breaks easily.

Oh, and how do I get wire from the battery through the firewall (how am I possibly supposed to get access to the firewall?) and into the car?

Remove the front drivers side wheel well liner. That orange grommet is against the firewall.

Poke a hole in grommet and run the wire through. The wire will come out underneath the drivers side dash.

·
幻影
673 Posts
You remove the wheel well liner by taking off the 10mm (i think) bolts, and using a flat screwdriver or small pliers to take off the clip things. It would make it a lot easier if you take off the wheel first.

·
Registered
1989 base model
10 Posts
i just did this in my 89. I found it was easiest to drill a hole throgh the firewall. Inorder to run the wires take off the kick panels and pull up the edge of the carpet and run it along there. If you take out the botom of the back seat on both sides you can stuff wires through the corner.

·
Registered
1989 base model
10 Posts
oh yeah I also bought 4" speakers so i cutout the whole bigger and drilled new holes. DON'T put them in the other hole.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Yeah, so I was able to get it done after all.:)

the thing taped to fuse box is the inline fuse holder. i guess i should secure it a bit more...:disappoin

getting that lining off was a bitch. especially with those plastic tab things (i ended up just forcing the lining from them). and the dirt.

since i was gonna use stock head unit, i had to connect all the speaker wires from the stock wire harness to the amp's, because the head unit had no rca outputs. it was not fun...:sosad:

well... there you go. yes, that's the best i could do as far as wire organization goes. ran out of speaker wire in the process. had to jack some wire from an old unused home theater system from the house.:eek::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts