Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Forum, new to Camry's as well. Owned my 1991 Camry LE for 2 years now. I love it !!
When I bought it, the owners had siliconed the moonroof shut so that it wouldn't open. I finially got the guts to peel the silicone off today and tried the roof.out It moves, but it is not smooth. When closing, it stops about 2 inches shy of it's destination. I have to slam it closed from inside to get it to close all the way. Also, when it is closed, the moonroof looks like it's tilted down at the back and I'm sure it's not going to seal. Was I an idiot to do this, or is this a cheap fix.
Nice to be here.....

Rick:eek:

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
Well, at least you are on your way to repairing it. I don't think you are an idiot for trying to do this because who doesn't like a moon roof? I think the real idiot is the one who decided they didn't care enough to fix it, and siliconed it shut.

Just to be sure until you can fix it - if it needs fixing - I'd tape some trash bags over it if it is going to rain just so you don't screw up the interior of your car. You might want to check the motor that controls the moon roof and make sure it isn't on it's way out. Check the tracks for the panel too, see if there are any obstructions or causes to why it is not smooth when it slides.

Best of luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I was wallowing around today looking at the roof and then looking at the sun, and then looking at the roof again, sun, roof, sun,roof,sun, roof....argggh ! It was like someone was chanting at me to rip the silicone off and try it. I'm glad I did it now, and like you say I'm on the road now to repair.
Thanks for the reply..

Cheers

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,195 Posts
When its leaning in the back a little; try pushing it up from the back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

I did try and push up the back end of the moonroof but it still wants to droop. Also, a question... When the roof is closed, I can open it from the outside of the car. It opens to the point of where it stops closing when switch operated (from inside). Is this normal?

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
You most likely need to replace the track and cables. The cables at the very least. It is not a very hard repair. If you look up at the roof on either side you should see two or three bolts holding the glass onto the track mechanism. take those loose and then you can get to the track and motor easier. You will have to pull the front part of the headli9ner down a little to access it completely if I remember correctly, it has been a while since I messed with one. You should download the repair manual for the 92-96 Cmary that is available as a sticky on the front page. I know yours is older but the directions are going to be almost the exact same for repairing it. If I remember right the sunroof parts are not cheap so you may want to look around online for the best price at some of the online dealer sites.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.