Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 Corolla DLX 4AFE, 1994 Camry LE 5SFE, 1995 Avalon XLS 1MZFE, 2004 Sienna XLE/LTD, 2011 Camry LE
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, not really a “body” guy at all, but after spending time in the engine compartment of my Corolla, I noticed rust coming up through the body seam “tape” or whatever this stuff is called, and I want to get busy on it before it causes some major body panel issues. First off, what is this stuff called? How is it best removed? And what do I replace it with? Also any special tools or procedures I may need to know about. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1991 Corolla DLX 4AFE, 1994 Camry LE 5SFE, 1995 Avalon XLS 1MZFE, 2004 Sienna XLE/LTD, 2011 Camry LE
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't look OEM.
I’m technically the 2nd owner of this car, acquired it in early 2017, the CARFAX did have 1 accident for it - a minor fender bender back in ‘95 or ‘96, but on the left front fender. Not this right front fender. But the left front fender does have similar “tape” but it doesn’t seem as pronounced. I’ve never noticed it on any of my cars ever, but I’ve never even looked for it. I couldn’t find anything on a Google search, but maybe some auto body guys could chime in who might know what this might be. Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
14,653 Posts
Could be OEM but hard to say. A Vehicle History Report can tell a lot of things except the things it is not told. Do it could be possible it was in another fender bender and the apron was cutoff and a new one welded.

Now it is just up to you on whether to investigate more or just ignore it.

If anything, it is just how it is meant to be.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
3,402 Posts
What you're seeing is a product called body sealer (usually sold in a caulk gun tube). It's sold in most automotive body supply stores by 3M and other companies. The best way to remove it is with a propane torch, and a metal scaper(putty knife). It's been around for a good 60+ years (used in the 50's). Good luck with removing it, as you'll find hidden rust underneath it, that I usually sand blast off. I only say this because I've run into enough of it in the rust belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts