Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1991 Corolla GT-S and there are a few things a little quirky about the car and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

The car's transmission seems to be making some scraping noises. It also pops itself out of 5th gear when under acceleration or just prolonged strain. Is this a common problem? What would be the best course of action?

Also, the car's speakers do not work. The audio system is stock and the tape/radio receiver seems to be working fine. But the speakers don't get any static or noise whatsoever. Could it be a fuse or is the wiring faulty? Is this a known problem?

Then there is the passenger side view mirror. The driver side view mirror works fine when adjusting, but the other will not adjust using the electrical adjustor. It must be done by hand.

The final thing is the sunroof. The previous owner said that it needs a replacement belt, but those can only be obtained by buying the entire motor assembly. Is this true? Where can it be bought?

Thank you very much in advance.
 

·
ooSnip3r Halo2!
89 Corolla GTS
Joined
·
187 Posts
Hey your speaker problem will most likelly be from piched wires in the door...I read an article on the 91 GT-s in consumer guide and thats one of the 3 problems that they had with the car as it aged.
So go by a speaker shop and get some new wires...and while your at it..put some new speakers in it....the prvious owner of my 89 GTS put some Hardon-kardon speakers in the rear and eclipse speakers in the front and it sounds amazin in that little car.

Sounds like a syncro gear....had a buddy with a 95---or 97 tercel who had the same problem...think it set him back only 400bucks..CDN to fix it. seems to be better now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for the input. Do you know which door the wires would be pinched in? I was kind of hoping that I could do it myself, but if the car needs new wiring all around, then that'd be kind of rough.

Hm, as far as the tranny goes, I'll probably just have to take it to a shop and suggest that to him. See what he says....

Thanks again!
 

·
Still got love 4 the AE92
Joined
·
489 Posts
The fronts are in the dash so they just go from the back of the head unit and along the dash.

The rears go from the dash, tuck into the kick panel, inside the rocker panel (just clips off), then you can tuck them up into the panel beside the rear seat, then up into the deck where the speakers are. Just use a slot screwdriver to push the wire up into whichever panel you want it in and its all good.
 

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
Joined
·
19,666 Posts
Snip3r said:
Hey your speaker problem will most likelly be from piched wires in the door...I read an article on the 91 GT-s in consumer guide and thats one of the 3 problems that they had with the car as it aged.
So go by a speaker shop and get some new wires...and while your at it..put some new speakers in it....the prvious owner of my 89 GTS put some Hardon-kardon speakers in the rear and eclipse speakers in the front and it sounds amazin in that little car.

Sounds like a syncro gear....had a buddy with a 95---or 97 tercel who had the same problem...think it set him back only 400bucks..CDN to fix it. seems to be better now.
$400 CDN?? wow! he could probably find a whole new engine for that much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
REN69 said:
$400 CDN?? wow! he could probably find a whole new engine for that much.
Engine runs like a champ actually. Just the transmission gives me worries. Is going to a Toyota mechanic the best way to go for this kind of thing? I guess I could also talk to them about the sunroof which sounds like it might be a bit touchy.

And on a side note, is it easy to replace the side view mirrors? Mine are ridiculously hazy with waterspots that will not come off for the life of me.

Thanks again!
 

·
ooSnip3r Halo2!
89 Corolla GTS
Joined
·
187 Posts
$400 CDN?? wow! he could probably find a whole new engine for that much.

Why would he buy a new engine when his tranny is giving him problems?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,036 Posts
^^^ ren was just pointing something out

what color is your car? i have a pair (i would rather sell them as a pair) of WORKING electric mirrors off my sr5...... they just sit in the closet.... i'd be willing to sell them

the 5th gear popout is a problem that's somewhat common (moreso with the 85-87 mr2's with the c50 tranny).... most people just tend to hold it in place when driving....

funny you guys mention that the door would be pinching the speaker wiring.... i haven't looked all that closely at a gt-s, but i'm pretty sure they're the same and have the front speakers in the lower part of the DASH and the wiring for the rear speakers runs along the bottom of the floorboard, not around the door
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That'd be pretty cool with the mirrors. I'm actually currently in Seattle so nothing would have to be shipped. My GT-S is red. What all does your mirror pair come with?

As far as the wiring goes, I still need to look at that myself. I'll probably just end up replacing everything anyway (deck, front/rear speakers, wires...)

And about the tranny, if it is a common problem, is there a common solution? Does the syncro gear sound like it could be it? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,036 Posts
um..... they come with the mirrors, the motors, and the little bit of wiring they have..... no relay.... if need be, i also have the USDM switch somewhere

i'm currently in bellingham.... but sometime soon i have to head down to tacoma..... need me some parts for my mr2 and have to drop off a 4age head to a friend
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
How much were you thinking about?

Also, I was told that using GM Syncromesh or ATF might make my tranny a little happier. I guess using the syncromesh sounds valid, but ATF? I thought that it was called ATF for a reason. It's cool to use in my manual tranny?
 

·
ooSnip3r Halo2!
89 Corolla GTS
Joined
·
187 Posts
ohh yeah your right aboutthe front speakers...what was I thinking.....hmm well anyways...I guess Im full of shit never mind me...buit I do remember in the consumer guide report that they did find that they had problems with wires gettting pinched. So if anyone feels so inclined do a google search on a corolla GTS and you'll find the report.

As far as the tranny....my buddy held it in fifth all the time too.......I dont know....I think I would just stay outta 5th or get it fixed! some people though huh.:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Snip3r said:
ohh yeah your right aboutthe front speakers...what was I thinking.....hmm well anyways...I guess Im full of shit never mind me...buit I do remember in the consumer guide report that they did find that they had problems with wires gettting pinched. So if anyone feels so inclined do a google search on a corolla GTS and you'll find the report.

As far as the tranny....my buddy held it in fifth all the time too.......I dont know....I think I would just stay outta 5th or get it fixed! some people though huh.:lol:
haha, thanks. Although the noises are still a bit worrisome. I'll try the GM Syncromesh and report back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I tried GM Synchromesh and it still makes the rattling noises and pops out of 5th gear. It does shift nicer though. I guess it is something I'll have to get checked out.

Does anyone know how to take off the side view mirrors? Do they just pop off or do I need a special tool?

The same goes with the sunroof. I think I need to replace the motor/belt for the sunroof, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Any tips? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
when you try to open the sunroof does it sound like the motors still working but the roof wont go anywhere? if so, i got the same problem lol, if i figure it out, i'll get back to you about it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,036 Posts
check the motor..... i'm not going to lie... it's a pain... i had to swap the motor in my ae92.... you have to remove about 1/3 of the interior..... including the a/b/c pillar covers, the headliner light, and the headliner....

as for the mirrors.... just pop off the inner covers, and there's 3 gold screws that hold the mirror in place, and there's one electric plug

sorry i didn't get back to you on the mirrors..... if you're still in the seattle area show up on saturday to the toyota meet and i'll give you a good price
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
noddygts said:
when you try to open the sunroof does it sound like the motors still working but the roof wont go anywhere? if so, i got the same problem lol, if i figure it out, i'll get back to you about it
Yeah, it's pretty similar. It'll move the roof about two inches then it'll stop. It really wants to budge, but it doesn't.

I'll write you an e-mail about the meet. Thanks for the invite
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,036 Posts
sounds like you're having the problem i was.... the plastic gears inside of my motor were shaved off in a certain section... so it would move about 2" and then get to the bad point in the gear, and stop....
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top