Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

We are having a hard time finding the right bolt/thread size for pulling the crankshaft timing gear off. The harmonic balancer is off and the crankshaft timing gear pully is rusted on pretty good, the bolt size looks like maybe a M6 or M8 x what size thread? x 70mm? it looks like probably 1.0 thread size but i have no way to check. if anyone knows what crankshaft puller kit will work for the older hilux's or what size these bolts are it would help us out alot!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any chance you still have the original bolts???
I bought the truck from California, it was imported from Japan to Canada and then to the States.
The bolt that holds the harmonic balancer is here, but these two threads on the crankshaft pulley need 2 bolts with a curtain size that we can't figure out since we are in the US and these trucks are super rear here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought the truck from California, it was imported from Japan to Canada and then to the States.
The bolt that holds the harmonic balancer is here, but these two threads on the crankshaft pulley need 2 bolts with a curtain size that we can't figure out since we are in the US and these trucks are super rear here.
Ah ha!! I got a "work around for you! :laugh:

God knows if you work on cars long enough and have a habit of putting bolts and stuff uh ... right there and come back weeks/months or uh years later ... lost nuts and bolts are a way of life .... But now I remember and well your gonna have to buy stuff fot the "work around." But don't worry you can never have to many tools! You'll need a metric tap and die set. :

https://www.harborfreight.com/40-Pc-Carbon-Steel-Metric-Tap-and-Die-Set-62832.html

That one may just have the size you need. It's a two part process, you'll need to clean the hole with liquid wrench or whatever. And then start the search with whatever smaller tap looks about right?? You want to be kinda careful as you don't want to cut new threads. And what ever size tap fits without cutting new threads ...will be the "pitch" you need. And from there just measure the dept and fine that size in grade 8 bolts at your local hardware store!

That should work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ha!! I got a "work around for you! :laugh:

God knows if you work on cars long enough and have a habit of putting bolts and stuff uh ... right there and come back weeks/months or uh years later ... lost nuts and bolts are a way of life .... But now I remember and well your gonna have to buy stuff fot the "work around." But don't worry you can never have to many tools! You'll need a metric tap and die set. :

https://www.harborfreight.com/40-Pc-Carbon-Steel-Metric-Tap-and-Die-Set-62832.html

That one may just have the size you need. It's a two part process, you'll need to clean the hole with liquid wrench or whatever. And then start the search with whatever smaller tap looks about right?? You want to be kinda careful as you don't want to cut new threads. And what ever size tap fits without cutting new threads ...will be the "pitch" you need. And from there just measure the dept and fine that size in grade 8 bolts at your local hardware store!

That should work.
Thank you so much for the respond! My husband was thinking to do the same and I was very worried we need to find a certain kit for it :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep now that I think about it?? That's what I always did. The harmonic balancer kits only come with a handful of longish bolt's. And if your lucky one will fit?? If it doesn't then you have to "figure out the size." Unless of course someone happens to know "here" of the top of there head. Good Luck with the project. :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hi

We are having a hard time finding the right bolt/thread size . . . bolt size looks like maybe a M6 or M8 . . . probably 1.0 thread size but i have no way to check . . .
As you know, they're going to be standard metric sizes. It will likely be a fine thread for strength, so 0.75mm pitch if it's an M6 or 1mm if it's an M8.

To determine the bolt diameter, the easiest thing is to insert drill bits in successively larger sizes until you find the largest that fits. An M6X0.75 will fit a 5.2mm (0.204") drill shank. An M8X1 will fit a 7mm (0.276"). You can find this kind of data on any drill and tap chart, easily Googled up.

http://www.engineeringsupplies.co.uk/tapping-drill-sizes-i-15.html

The easiest way to verify you have the right thread is to buy a bolt at the hardware store and try it on for size. Most puller kits will have the common sizes, so the correct bolts should come with your kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As you know, they're going to be standard metric sizes. It will likely be a fine thread for strength, so 0.75mm pitch if it's an M6 or 1mm if it's an M8.

To determine the bolt diameter, the easiest thing is to insert drill bits in successively larger sizes until you find the largest that fits. An M6X0.75 will fit a 5.2mm (0.204") drill shank. An M8X1 will fit a 7mm (0.276"). You can find this kind of data on any drill and tap chart, easily Googled up.

http://www.engineeringsupplies.co.uk/tapping-drill-sizes-i-15.html

The easiest way to verify you have the right thread is to buy a bolt at the hardware store and try it on for size. Most puller kits will have the common sizes, so the correct bolts should come with your kit.
Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
Viliyana Mandel
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing