Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Lexus ES250
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After experiencing a noticeable amount of engine misfire, I set out to replace the spark plugs/wires, distributor cap/rotor on this vehicle (my first time undertaking such a repair). I picked up a new cap, rotor, wires, and standard spark plugs (instead of platinum plugs). Halfway through the job, and after inadvertently pulling off all of the wires from the distributor cap, it became clear that replacing the rear plugs/wires was beyond my DIY capability as they sit under the plenum. I looked up the correct firing order online (1-2-3-4-5-6) and decided to replace only the front three plugs/wires, including the wire that runs from the middle of the cap to the ignition coil (the roughly inch-long metal clip on the old wire that connected to the coil had been worn down to a little nub), and then reinstall everything. Now the engine cranks but won't start.

:confused:

What could be causing this and how do I go about fixing the problem?

Engine Size: 2.5L V6
Mileage: 55300

·
Registered
Lexus ES250
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did you set the gap on the plugs? You didn't mention that.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I gapped the plugs properly. I've also made some progress in diagnosing the issue. Turns out that when the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) is plugged in, the car absolutely will not start. Unplug the sensor and the car comes to life. Unfortunately, the car stalls almost immediately after I attempt to drive it so I've decided to replace that part.

Online/offline prices for an MAF sensor are a non-starter (pun intended) so I'm going to hit up the salvage yards later today in the hopes of finding the part.

Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You should have at least 1 code stored. When I finished my plug replacement job, which included removing the intake plenum, I forgot to plug in the MAF sensor. The engine would fire, then immediately die. After plugging it in, it started and ran, but with excessively high idle. After enough driving cycles to allow the ECU to reset itself, the idle calmed down again. I had 2 codes, both MAF sensor related, which couldn't be cleared by unplugging the EFI relay. Removing the neg battery cable for 1 minute did clear the codes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts