Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I am looking into purchasing a 1991 MR2 with 59K and is priced at $8,800. Just wondering if this is a fair price considering the year. I realize the milage is very low and the MR2 turbo is pretty rare. Is there anything I should know in particular about the car before getting too serious?

Thanks for all your help, any feedback is great.

Thanks.

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
Well, I've got a '91 turbo. Bought it with about 115K for $4K. Now, with the miles, that sounds like a good price. I would try and get him down to low 8's high 7's. If she shifts smooth, you've found a good one. The sincro's for 2nd gear tend to wear out. Good luck!

·
I do NOT exist ...
167 Posts
well ... as long as you keep in mind that it is a 13 year old car, and that it has been maintained, then you're in for a treat. they are rock-solid when it comes to reliability, so that's just gravy on top of the fun i hope you have with it.

enjoy ... :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
i wouldn't do it. i would rather find a 94-95 with $8,800. even with the low mileage, i think the most i would pay for a '91 turbo is $7,000. try lookin at higher mileage cars to save you a few grand. just because it's lower mileage doesn't neccessarily mean it's gonna be in better condition. find a well maintained '91 with 100K or more and it'll cost around $6000. just my two cents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
91 MR2 Turbo Update

Thanks for all of your imput...

I went and looked at the car today, really nice condition especially for a 91. The car has been garage kept and it shows. The body kit (which I was pretty nervous about) isn't too overkill. Talked to the owner and found that he has replaced the timing belt, put in a new clutch, put in a new turbo ($2500), and upgraded the wheels. He said he put about 5000 into it. This was all done about a year ago, so its pretty new. The owner has really maintained it and he sounds like a pretty legit guy.
The ride of the car is really nice, I really didn't notice any problems. Bad thing is the owner is really set on his price of $8,800. I guess he has already dropped the price so we'll se if I can get slide to a lower price.

Anymore feedback is helpful, Thanks...
HG

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
^My thinking too. Take him $7,000-$7500 in cold hard cash. It works about 95% of the time. Once he sees all those hundreds laying on the table...he won't be able to say no.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
91 Turbo

After some feedback from my friend and some fellow auto enthusiasts he talks to online...

The body kit really hurts this car. REALLY clunky and the wing is just too much for me. Other than that I don't have any problems with it. Any idea how much it would cost to bring this car back to its "stock" appearance?

I'll post some pictures asap.

·
Registered
146 Posts
yeh, pull out some cash and he'll give in to droppin' the price. My MR2 turbo was listed for $9,000. my dad test drove it, pulled out $6,000 cash, and the dude sold it to me for $6,200. a great deal in my opinion.

About the body kit, it'll cost you some money to bring it back to stock. If it's the Invader/Veilside kit that the mr2's got on, then...yes, you really do need to remove it ASAP, cuz that kit destroys the beauty of the MR2. Stock pieces can be found on xcars.com, or mr2oc.com forum, but you'll be better off buying a new kit, like border, bomex, or TOM's.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
Re: 91 Turbo

huskerguy said:
After some feedback from my friend and some fellow auto enthusiasts he talks to online...

The body kit really hurts this car. REALLY clunky and the wing is just too much for me. Other than that I don't have any problems with it. Any idea how much it would cost to bring this car back to its "stock" appearance?

I'll post some pictures asap.
get some pics up so we can see what kind of rims and body is on the car.......

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
if u want my honest opinion......PLEASE DON'T GET IT......that body kit is hideous.......wait for another one to come around....the only thing i see good about that car is that it has such low mileage....

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I have to say.... that is the uglist body kit I have ever seen on an MR2. It has such low mileage.... cause nobody in their right mind would drive that thing. You can do much better.... find a car with higher mileage that was well taken care of. Do not buy this car..... offer him $5000.... if he will except that... then it's worth it. You could get a much more 'modest' kit... and make the car look 1000x better.

BTW: No T-Tops :thumbup: .... good find minus the body kit.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Other than the tacky 80's testarossa kit, it looks like the owner did look after the car, but again, looks are deceiving.
Looks like most of the kit can come off though.
But probably got to go bodyshop to get estimate.
That tail is so FUGLY, have to be honest here.

Is that sunroof afm? If it is, I would walk away.

If it were me and the car was that fantastismo mechanical, I would rip that tail off and paint it battleship grey.

·
Registered
146 Posts
in my opinion, the fbumper and rear are decent. just get bomex or TOM's skirts and and TRD wing. or spend another $500 on a full kit and it'll look better than a ferarri. if you can get the car for $7,000, then i'll say it's a decent buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think this car might not be worth the trouble. I guess the only thing to do to save the car would be to get it for a reasonable price, and then put the money I saved into getting rid of the body kit.

Just a thought.

Another thing, there is a 1991 MR2 n/a with a 106K for $5,995 here in my area. I can't tell buy the photos what condition its in, but it seems to be all stock. Any ideas/thoughts??

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ You could pickup a '91 Turbo with that mileage for that price if you look around. Just be patient... just like I wasn't... :lol:

·
Registered
270 Posts
holy hell.....i never knew they made such an ugly body kit for a mr2. And I'm not even gonna say a word about the spoiler........I wouldn't even consider buying the car due to the body kit unless he has the front and rear bumbers along with the stock spoiler............man that car is HIDEOUS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts