Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Toyota Camry. It cranks up fine. However, if I turn off the engine before it is warmed up, say in the first 2 minutes or so, the car will not turn over for the next 20 minutes or longer. Then it will crank right up. Now this afternoon, I drove it a short distance on a cold day, about 1/4 mile. It would not turn over for the next hour and a half. Then after about sporadic attempts earlier, about that hour and a half later, it just cranked right up. I feel whatever is going wrong has gotten worse.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,349 Posts
I'm going to suggest checking for cracks inside the distributor's coil.
Another likely problem is the cold start injection system, more specifically the cold start injector time switch. A non-working switch can wreak havoc on startup.

-Charlie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just learned it was some kind of safety switch on the gear box. He said if it doesn't turn over in park next or isn't warmed sufficiently, I can put it in neutral and while keeping my foot on the brake, crank it up anyway. I felt the 200.00 for the part and labor might be more useful if it really broke down next time. Thanks guys.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,349 Posts
Just learned it was some kind of safety switch on the gear box.
That's the neutral safety switch.

If the engine rotates but doesn't start, it could be the ignition coil or some part of the cold-start injection system.

If the engine doesn't rotate at all, the neutral safety switch could be the problem, or it could be weak wiring that can be supplemented with a relay that can fix the problem. The neutral safety switch can be removed, cleaned and re-installed instead of buying new. That will be much cheaper if you can DIY (cost of a bit of dielectric grease).

-Charlie

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,349 Posts
Thanks so much. I will try to find a way if it is needed. That is a big help.
Let us know what the problem is and we can point you to more information. (so, if wiggling the shifter or putting it in neutral works, there is a fix, etc.)

-Charlie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, the problem was that the car would crank up when cold or when warmed up, but- before fully warmed, the car's lights and other would work, but would not turn over until the engine had re-cooled sufficiently. The mechanic and now a good reply said the problem was in the neutral safety switch and said when removed, it could then be cleaned, reinstalled and would probably work without being replaced. I said that was wonderful. Now, if for some reason it does become a problem, all I have to do is look up where the switch is located and clean it. So I guess I am covered. Thanks to all.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,349 Posts
LOL, I can read the thread (and I was one of the ones that answered). My point is that without more information from you, we can't help you any more.

If wiggling the shifter fixes the problem, we can point you to the walkthrough on cleaning the neutral safety switch (don't feel like searching at the moment...)
If that doesn't, and the engine doesn't turn over, then you can add an extra starter relay, like this: Starter relay

If the problem is that the motor spins (turns over) but doesn't start, we can point you to steps to debug/fix that problem.

-Charlie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts