Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 camry v6 and the car will not start and it is happening more frequently. Normally i have to turn the ignition couple of times but eventually it will start (within couple of tries). Lately its happening that i can't seem to get it started and have to let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and try again and so far it has worked. It is completely random (to me) when it will not start(no crank, not sure if i hear click). Sometimes the weather is cold in the morning and other times it is hot in the afternoon when it does not start. I will have this problem with a cold start and when i try to restart after putting gas. Also, the auto door lock will delay for a few seconds when i am have the no start issue. I tested the battery and it is good so i am wondering if it is the solenoid or the starter. Could anyone help me out on this, please? Thanks

·
セクシーの定&#
Camry Touring
891 Posts
I think it might be the start motor contacts. Search around for it, i think it's been covered before. :)

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
^ I have to agree with Jimnist. It sounds like the common starter solenoid contacts problem. You can varify this with a simple test. The next time it doesn't start, go under the hood and tap the starter's solenoid with a small hammer or a wrench. If it now starts, you have varified the problem. You can even have someone hold the key in the start position while you tap the starter's solenoid. It will probably crank instantly after tapping it. Then do a search for "starter contacts" on this forum and read up on the problem and it's cures.

Mike

·
日産自動車パ&#
2004 Nissan Maxima
553 Posts
I have a 91 camry v6 and the car will not start and it is happening more frequently. Normally i have to turn the ignition couple of times but eventually it will start (within couple of tries). Lately its happening that i can't seem to get it started and have to let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and try again and so far it has worked. It is completely random (to me) when it will not start(no crank, not sure if i hear click). Sometimes the weather is cold in the morning and other times it is hot in the afternoon when it does not start. I will have this problem with a cold start and when i try to restart after putting gas. Also, the auto door lock will delay for a few seconds when i am have the no start issue. I tested the battery and it is good so i am wondering if it is the solenoid or the starter. Could anyone help me out on this, please? Thanks
What are you going to do about your username once your 'brokencamry' is fixed? :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jimnist and Mike for the input. I will try this next time it doesn't start but today had no problems starting.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Make sure your "battery cable" to starter is making good connections with the bolt on the starter .
Get the pushbutton starter switch [sometimes called the 'remote starter'] and try it up; if it makes engine to start right away, check that you are getting power at the ignition [small wire] terminal of the starter. If yes, the relay may help http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261501,

if not repair the neutral start switch

·
Registered
1991 Camry
1,126 Posts
i had the same signs you are describing...everyone above said it was the contacts in the solinoid,and they were correct!!...its a very easy repair...cheap too!!

·
Registered
91 Cam DX, 99 Sol 6,
12 Posts
key switch

I read somewhere that the key switch contacts wear out and the lock assembly on the steering column, with new key has to be changed. I see one on e-bay for $28 incl shipping. My '91 was doing this no contact thing intermittently a couple of years ago and I changed the starter. The problem still kept happening. I haven't changed the key switch because the problem stopped some time ago.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Before installing the relay I tried 2 swtches , one brand new; at the beginning no start condition happened only 3 times per year [one time at metered parking spot:)], then stopped for a while, and finally 2 years ago began on regular bases.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I read somewhere that the key switch contacts wear out and the lock assembly on the steering column, with new key has to be changed. I see one on e-bay for $28 incl shipping. My '91 was doing this no contact thing intermittently a couple of years ago and I changed the starter. The problem still kept happening. I haven't changed the key switch because the problem stopped some time ago.
I had that and then switched to my 'spare' set of keys which were not as worn down as the daily use ones. This fixed the problem and I think it is just the keys getting worn down over time.

I've also always heard that if you have a big keychain on your car keys that is over 1lb that it can start to affect your key switch over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This morning, the car wouldn't start (cold start), i tapped the starter and solenoid couple of times but didn't start. after few minutes, the car finally started. So does this mean it is not the starter contacts? I did slam the hood to shut it but that was about all.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
"I did slam the hood to shut it but that was about all."

That could have been enough to jar the contacts inside the solenoid. I would try this test again the next time it doesn't start.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts