Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I am new to TN, however, I've read quite a lot of info on the site. Hope you can help me out. Here is my situation, I have a well maintained 1992 4Runner with a "3VZE" and 141K on the odometer (owned it since 1996) driven by my wife on-road only, towed 20' boat one season, body in 92% condition (some rust on bottom of tailgate and rear bumper). Toyota did head gaskets (years ago) at 63,000 and 75,000 on the original motor (#6 cyl.). The third time I made my case, and they put in a new factory shortblock, new heads with the old valve train, head bolts, oil pump, waterpump, T-belt, etc, etc,.

When it went this time on the new motor at 60k (#1 cyl.), it was driven less than 1/4 mile. I pulled the plugs, dumped the anti-freeze, and the oil (which had about 4 to 6 oz. of anti-freeze in it). Since then, 2 years and three months ago, it has not moved (still like the look of it). Anyway, what do I do?
  1. Donate/Dumped it? No way.
  2. Try to sell as is? Not many takers around here!
  3. Part it out. (this would hurt!)
  4. Do the head gasket job with some assistance?
  5. Any other options?
My other issue is since it ran fine until the gasket blew, should I drain the block (there are drain plugs on the 3VZE right?), put in new oil and a filter, and make sure it still runs before pulling the heads (that is after putting some Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder to hopefully free up any frozen rings)?

Any experience or knowledge with similiar situations would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Since its sat for over 2 years, you obviously don't need the vehicle. Book value on Edmunds or Blue Book is probably $1500 or so (do check). Unless you can do the work, that's probably about what it would cost you to professionally repair it and change fuids (plus need to add new battery and maybe tires) to get it back on the road. I'd advertise it on your local Craigslist with photographs (add oil and antifreeze should someone want to briefly start it up). I'd advertize the good (new short block w/ new heads 60k ago) and the bad (needs head gasket and 140k miles). Someone mechanically inclined can probably get it back on the road for <$300 in parts. Donating it to a charity will get you whatever they sell it for - which could be junk value of $200 or so. Advertize it in the classified area of toyota-4runner.org too - if 4x4, it has great potential for an off roader. I'm surprized you had problems with it after the head gasket was changed to the new type.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I realize that we live at opposite ends of the continent, however if we could get together on this one I have a 90 pickup with a bomb proof engine. 258 000 km on it and still runs great...problem is I got in an accident and the frame is bent. :(

Okay not very helpful... maybe you should do the "chevota" thing with it? Install the buick engine and go bogging.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts